• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to clean the non-skid

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

How to clean the non-skid

Post by mhanna »

The non skid has always bothered me as it does not come up as clean as I would like it to be. I understand it may never be because of all the groves and such but there seems to be stains in it that are just not coming off.
Was the non skid painted on after the decks were done and is it just paint or real gel coat material... the reason I ask is if a drop of oil hits it, it seems to suck it up and hold it. I have even though of using something like armor-all to get it even as far as the darker spots, but then again its non skid and it would defeat the purpose and probably kill me :?
So the real question is has anyone noticed this and found a way to clean it ?

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I have used Soft Scrub with success. There is also a product called KaBoom that my wife has used.
I read on another forum about Barkeepers Friend? Never tried it. http://www.fridgefilters.com/bar-keeper ... FQod-32ERg
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

At least on our Albin, the non-skid appears to be painted on. With most boats, a pressure washer, set to a low psi, is excellent for cleaning non-skid. But on the Albin, I don't recommend it. My fear is that it could strip the non-skid off. So, you're left with the good old method of scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush and soap. For the oil stains, I recommend dish detergent, but I dont' know if it will work.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My non-skid decks are gel coat and not painted. I use, with great success, MaryKate / Cleaning detail (blue bottle) .... works great. A little water add some MaryKate and scrub with a deck brush ... awesome. Had a guy a couple of berths over come by to ask what I use / he couldn't believe how they looked like new. I can't remember offhand who makes this product Greez - Off ..... I have used this when I have had a tough stain like oil, diesel or baked on fish blood on the the non-skid .... works great. Both available at most boat stores.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I second the marykate product - biodegradable too! (or at least that's what they say)
Dave39
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pilots Point North Yard Westbrook, CT

Post by Dave39 »

I use a product available at most auto stores called Purple Power. Biodegradable, and as a concentrate mixed 5:1 it does an excellent job, just keep it off the wax.
Dave Sieben (Dave39)
Hideaweigh
1998 31TE Cummins 450
203-640-6127
203-843-2578
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I tried the MaryKate, it cleaned everything well. I just hope I can get it to stay that way now :D

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Does anybody wax their non-skid (not cockpit) surfaces?

Post by Saltdog »

I seem to be having a problem with Spider excrement. It seems to me that wax would help keep it from permanating the gelcoat? Does anybody wax their bow and walk around non-skid surfaces?

Thanks
><{{{*>
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Use Woody Wax on the non-skid. Spider do do should hose right off.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Try "Barkeeper's Friend". It's a powder cleanser that is not abrasive, but contains oxalic acid. Really eliminates stains. Wal-mart or any hardware store.
Soft scrub with bleach is also great stuff and easy to use.
Last edited by Cape Codder on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Try "Barkeeper's Friend". It's a powder cleanser that is not abrasive, but contains oxalic acid. Really eliminates stains. Wal-mart or any hardware store.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DrNickS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, MA

Wesley's Bleach White for non skid

Post by DrNickS »

Try this product, Wesley's Bleach White, for cleaning your decks. Do not use it on your waxed areas - it will remove wax like other cleaners will. It works great on fenders and shore power cords as well as its primary use as a tire cleaner.

It is available in auto parts stores and you can buy refills for about $6 a half gallon. Great stuff.
Nick Senzamici
Adagio, 28TE 2001
Rockport, MA
Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

NON-SKID CLEANER

Post by Don »

I use meguires[ #68 } - hull & deck cleaner on my A-32, & IT WORKS WELL ON NONSKID&ALL VERTICAL AREAS.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”