• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dumb painting question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Dumb painting question

Post by Legacy »

Is it OK to paint the nonskid on my cockpit floor and swim platform while shrink wrapped? There is some draft when I keep the zipper door open, and I can run a fan. It's downright balmy during the day under the plastic. I thought I'd wash the deck and go over it with acetone and then paint it.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

That can be a dangerous activity, even when done in open air.

Don't do it unless absolutely necessary, then be sure to use safety gear and have another person (outside) to keep an eye on you.

I'm 70 and still have problems resulting from exposure to toxic fumes when I was 19. In those days I'm not sure how much the USAF knew about some of those materials. I do know that less than four years later we weren't allowed to use some of them.

Acetone is particularly nasty and can be absorbed thru the skin.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StockHR »

I agree with Gene. But I'm wondering what paint you are going to use for your nonskid?

Mike
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Run a fan and wear a respirator. Not a dust mask, a real respirator. You really should do that anyway, even if you're painting in the open air, but who does?

Regardless, I would NOT do that without ventilation and a respirator. You might look up OSHA's guidelines for using those materials in a confined space. They seem over-protective, but they are still good guidelines to follow to protect yourself. I do think it's a good idea to do that work when it's undercover, to avoid dust falling onto your new paint and sticking forever, but again, I wouldn't even think about it without the appropriate protection.

Acetone is actually a surprisingly docile chemical, given how effective it is as a solvent. But there is definitely no way you want to be breathing those fumes in a confined space. Also, they're explosive, so make sure you have NO ignition source on the boat, and again, run a fan.

Hmmm....fan better be located well outside of the boat and ducted into the shrinkwrap, so it doesn't become an ignition source itself. That is unless you happen to have an ignition-protected, explosion-proof fan laying around.

In retrospect, perhaps this is more trouble than it's worth.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”