• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission

Post by dgetswet »

ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission Gearbox IRM 220A Part# 3205001020

Does anyone know this transmission? I changed the oil 3 times last year and doing it again now. My question is where is the filter for this tranny? Where is the drain plug? I know most have a bolt at the bottom with a magnetic piece to check for shavings but I do not see which bolt it is.

So far after youtubing and googling I have not been able to find a manual or anything else on this tranny.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission

Post by RobS »

D,

I know I've posted this link to my article for you once already: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/removing ... a-zf-220a/

And here it is in black & white - see attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

dgetswet wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 am ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission Gearbox IRM 220A Part# 3205001020

Does anyone know this transmission? I changed the oil 3 times last year and doing it again now. My question is where is the filter for this tranny? Where is the drain plug? I know most have a bolt at the bottom with a magnetic piece to check for shavings but I do not see which bolt it is.

So far after youtubing and googling I have not been able to find a manual or anything else on this tranny.

Any help is appreciated.
Why three changes in one year .. what's going on that you felt this as necessary?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Post by dgetswet »

Pitou wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:44 pm
dgetswet wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:05 am ZF 220A 1.5:1 Marine Boat Transmission Gearbox IRM 220A Part# 3205001020

Any help is appreciated.
Why three changes in one year .. what's going on that you felt this as necessary?

The tranny hydro locked the shifter on me after a long run. I have extremely hard time putting in reverse. The previous owner put the wrong tranny fluid in it.. When I contacted the mechanic Paul he said to drain it run it and drain again. then in spring drain it and refill. I did it 3 times just to make sure I go all the old tranny fluid out. It only hos 2 quarts at best.

It was hard going back in reverse again this year so I want to drain it completely and change or clean the oil filter. Problem is I can't find any information on which bolt has the magnet on it and what I need for the filter.

If you have any knowledge would love to hear about it.
Thanks
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck

Return to “Albin Maintenance”