• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Batteries

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Batteries

Post by JoeH »

Have a 28TE Flush deck. Need to replace batteries this spring. Thinking of replacing my current two D4s with two Group 31's. Reason -- easier to handle and less expensive. One for cranking the other for house.

Any thoughts, good idea, bad idea or no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Joe,
I purchased Odyssey batteries last year. Very good reviews. Long service life. Pricey.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

jcollins wrote:Hi Joe,
I purchased Odyssey batteries last year. Very good reviews. Long service life. Pricey.
Hi John,

Were they the ODYSSEY PC2150 by chance. If so they certainly are pricey :cry: If not the PC2150 could you advise which model.

Thanks,

Joe
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

JoeH wrote:
Hi John,

Were they the ODYSSEY PC2150 by chance. If so they certainly are pricey :cry: If not the PC2150 could you advise which model.

Thanks,

Joe
Yes they are the 2150. If I recall, shipping to Maryland was 65.00. I think I got them at batterymart.com in Virginia
John
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

jcollins wrote:
JoeH wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks,

Joe
Yes they are the 2150. If I recall, shipping to Maryland was 65.00. I think I got them at batterymart.com in Virginia
Hi John,

I assume you are using one of the 2150 for the house accessories. Does that include the bow thruster as well. As you know the thruster sucks up mega amps.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Joe
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Joe,
I use two for starting and one for the house. If I recall the thruster is connected to all 3. It works no matter what position my switch is in. Since I never use it unless the engine is running, I haven't given it much thought. Same with the windlass.
John
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Interesting how each boat is different. My 2 Batteries go through an AB switch and if its off, everything but the pumps are off. I usually have the switch set to A&B when the boat is running as you can tell from the thruster when only using 1.
I have been watching the battery threads, although I do not need new ones now (2 - 4D's), I am thinking of going to a different type when needed. If I use the thruster for more than a few seconds, the electronics go out, I would like a seperate battery for that and if I can get more juice from the same physical space I may be able to add another.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Batteries

Post by RicM »

If your electronics cut out when you use the thruster then you need new batteries now, or you have some other problem. Do you start your engine with the switch in A+B? You should be able to start and run with either battery by itself. Consistantly running with A+B would mask a problem with either or possibly both. I have one battery that will not sustain the GPS when I start the motor (larger drain than thruster), the other will. That tells me that battery is on the way out. Check water levels, and if topped off, have a pro check them under load.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I hear you about the easier to handle part. The 4D's at about 130lbs each I only took them off board the 1st winter storage season and have since visited the boat every 30-45 days to plug in and charge. A good excuse to visit anyway ...... headed there today. I don't know about reducing the house battery size especially if you run the reefer and other DC power when on the hook or do any overnights off of shore power. Sizing the starting battery to a 31 has crossed my mind as well.

My original house battery was a group 27 .... much to small. I replaced it with a Rolls deep cycle 4D Battery that should last 10 years. The starting battery is an Exide 4D combination deep cycle/starting and is original to 2002. Though my hydrometer says it is good having 6 years under its belt I am going to pull the Exide this year and bring it to my local Rolls shop to be tested. Both are wet cell. I will say I do shut the starting battery down through the switch when on the hook or at the dock which has probably lengthened its life.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

a pair of 6V golf cart batteries wired in series with a short length of battery cable will give almost as much capacity and more charge/discharge cycles than an 8D monster and be twice as easy to get in & out (literally). I'm replacing my house bank of two Trojan T-105s after 8 years (that cost $90 a piece) - not bad for old fashioned lead-acid wet cell battery technology.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Ric, I hear ya about the possible need for new batteries, they are 2 years old and last year I checked them and they were good on levels and hydro test and also on a load meter (ie.. 30 seconds of 50amp load, ect.. made for car batteries but its what I had).
I dont usually start the boat with electronics on, but I will use the thruster and if on for more than say 5-10 seconds, my Raymarine gear reboots. Not my other stuff so Im not really sure if its too sensitive or what. Obviously no good is coming of this and thats why I am looking at a house battery.
I also bought the new 8 blade bow prop, supposedly 20% less current ? we will see....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Electronics

Post by RicM »

I have all Furuno gear, and it reboots when I restart the engine after drifting with one battery and not the #2 battery. Both are pretty new. Newmar makes a battery backup system if you keep having the problem. It's got a small battery that takes over when the voltage drops or is interupted for a short time.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

mhanna wrote: I also bought the new 8 blade bow prop, supposedly 20% less current ? we will see.... Matt
Matt,
Was that an 8-blade or 6-blade prop?
I was speaking with a rep from Vetus recently who advised that the new prop they have out for the 50kgf thruster is a 6-blade, part # SET0088 with a list price of $126.50. It is supposed to be more efficient than the originally supplied 3-blade prop. I have not ordered it yet so not sure if it will go for full list price. I was given the local dealer as Jamestown Distributors in RI at (401) 253-3840. Where did you buy your replacement prop?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I guess I was getting carried away, 6 blades not 8 and 10% power not 20% :oops: ... I did buy the new prop last year during the summer from defender marine.
Item Description: VETUS 6 BLADE REPLACEMENT PROP
Item Number: 300065
Quantity Ordered: 1
Price Each: $64.95

I have not put it in, but will before launch. There was a thread on it
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.ph ... op&start=0

I am hoping for a little less noise and a little less electric draw.
BTW, I tried to pickup shear pins from defender late last year, I think Vetus has stopped doing biz with them. I had to go to Jamestown and they more expensive... Defender had pins for $10, Jamestown wanted $17. Not that $7 will kill me but I think it was more than Vetus list price. Seeing your prop cost....
Anyone else know of a US Vetus distributer ?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Not much better here, but a little

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=154518F
John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”