• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2007 Seattle Boat Show - post mortem

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

2007 Seattle Boat Show - post mortem

Post by Mariner »

Ok, so this isn't really a post-mortem. The show is still going, and I intend to return for a second round, but I figured I'd start the discussion anyway.

First off, I should explain; there is a mutiny afoot aboard the Nordvika. After two years of wonderful service, the "testosterone-challenged" members of the crew are starting to complain. It seems that they have grown tired of the lack of appropriate seating at the indoor helm. You see, aboard the 36' Express Trawler, there is no real indoor helm seat. There's a full helm and electronics, don't get me wrong. But the seating itself is really nothing more than a cushion attached with velco to the end of the galley counter. What was originally seen as a minor compromise for what was otherwise a wonderful boat, is now becoming a major issue. It's interfered with the amount of boating that occurs in the off-season. And that's where the "estrogen-challenged" members of the crew took notice. A boat that doesn't get used year-round is not worth having unless it can be loaded on a trailer and put away in the garage for the winter. Thus, you must either scale back, or double down.

Right now, the double-down option is looking like a posibility. Thus, we find ourselves looking at boats again. And this time, plentiful pilothouse seating is at the top of the list.

What did I notice? Well, first off, there were no Albins. No surprise there, as I don't see why they'd waste the floor/dock space for a discontinued product (the Seattle show is part indoors, part afloat, and BYS has several new and used Albins still in stock). BYS had only the Sabrelines and Back Cove yachts on hand. As I was walking aboard the 38' Sabreline, heard a woman who chose not to go aboard, ask her husband, as he was disembarking the boat, "Is it something you could spend a week on?" To which he replied, "no way!" At first I was disgusted at his response as the 38' Sabreline is a large boat that it ought to comfortably accomodate a family of 4 for weeks on end. I thought, what kind of nerve does this prick have? But then, as I looked around, I realized that I actually agreed with him. The boat was simply poorly designed and laid out for even weekend cruising. It was nothing but an oversized day-use boat. Sabrelines, despite being beautifully constructed, simply don't cater to the cruising crowd. They're picnic boats.

Of course, I went aboard the 76' Nordhavn Aurora once again. This boat has been for sale for years. It's a magnificent vessel, but at nearly $4mil, I suspect it will remain on the market for quite a while longer.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 10104&url=

The main focus thus far was on the offerings from Nordic Tugs and American Tugs. Both are locally built with the utmost attention to detail and fit and finnish. The engine compartments are clean, dry, carpeted, and thoughtfully laid out to make maintenence enjoyable, not a chore. Standard features include things like labeled sight gauges, dual fuel filters, automatic battery switching, and automatic oil change systems. They're really well designed and built boats, even if their appearance is a bit "cheesy".

Again, I was impressed by the craftsmanship found aboard the Selenes. The 36', which is the only one under consideration for us at this time is an aft-cabin layout, which I don't like, but does offer a lot of bonuses when it comes to interior space. And the woodwork is phenomenal. It shines like a mirror, you can literally see your reflection in the wall. It's the same story as the tugs when it comes to the engine room, except the engine is smaller. This boat is a full-displacement hull, so it won't plane and doesn't need the extra power. It's on my list to go back and spend more time looking it over in more detail.

I was shocked at the number boats with camera systems installed. What in the past was something that you only saw on the largest of superyachts, is now commonplace on boats in the 40-50' range. These cameras are kind of like back-up cameras on SUV's.

In general, the electronics have advanced by leaps and bounds. The new equipment from Raymarine is really a wonder to behold. No longer do you have to wait five seconds for the map to redraw when you change the zoom, and you can forget NOAA weather radio, you can now get real-time satellite imagery overlayed on your chartplotter that already has your radar overlayed on it. The 3D chartography seems a little gimicky to me. I fail to see how this really helps you navigate. It's simply not detailed enough to be of any use. More time playing with it might unlock it's secrets.

I spoke with a factory rep with Cummins Mercruiser about their new Zeus drive system. This is an azimuthing inboard/pod system that provides even more maneauverability than a stern-drive, along with the reliability and versatility of a traditional inboard. Volvo also offers a similar system. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the direction that inboard diesel boats are headed. It will take some time for manufacturers to make the switch and modify their molds, but they truly offer the best in control and reliability. They completely eliminate the need for stern thrusters and probably do the same for bow thrusters (time will tell). The only boat I paid any attention to that had them was the Coast Craft, made in B.C., Canada. These are aluminum hulls and so the cost of retooling to accomodate them is relatively small. If anything will end the reign of the big gas four-stroke multi-engine outboard configurations that are all too common right now, it is this new breed of azimuthing drives.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Uh oh, the 'another' boat itch.

I'm not surprised at the grumble about the Albin 36 in cooler climates. I always felt it to be a better warm climate boat especially with the huge back porch & bridge up top. The lower helm strikes me as a place to go to wait out a passing shower.

I am a big fan of the Sabres, even if they are waaay out of my budget. I did spend a week aboard a 42 express with friends a few years ago. Too pretty to be a family boat. Not great as a liveaboard. Fantastic as a fast extended cruiser & having occasional guests.

Oh yeah. A 26kt cruise is not half bad either with a couple of big Cummins under your feet. I kinda like the 38 over the 42 express even though it does not have the guest cabin.

My favorite long extended cruiser/live aboard would have to be one of the many sundeck trawlers about. always liked the Albin 43SD even though it is a virtual teak forest in trim to maintain. Also like the East Coast (no exteriior teak).

For ccoler climates it is tough to beat a pilothouse trawler. Krogen Whaleback MMMMMM!
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, the large aft cockpit is just fine in our climate. We spend lots of time back there. In the summer it's lounging sipping wine and eating dinner. In the winter it's baiting crab pots, working fishing lines and, and generally enjoying the ability to be outside, but under the protection of the cover when it rains. I've never really had a problem with the indoor helm seat. Sure, it's not terribly comfortable, but I don't want to be too comfortable at the wheel anyway. The objection is that there's only one forward facing seat. The passengers can't even see out of the front windows from the settee. The problem with the boat, really, is that the wide walkarounds take up too much interior space. On on hand, we love the wide, safe walkarounds. On the other hand, we'd like the extra 36" of interior width. If it wasn't for the inevitable imabalance it would create, I would say they should have made the boat with the walkaround on only one side.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Interesting comments on the Sabreline 38.

I looked at one at the New York Boat Show early this month and came away very UNimpressed. It's a beautiful boat but I couldn't understand how they managed to make 38 feet seem small.

Now if you start talking about the 40's and 50's (and mix in Eastbay) you're talking about some boats I'd just love to have! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've always seen Saberlines as a mixed bag. They're very well built boats and have a great reputation. They're also nice looking boats with great lines. However, a 36-38' boat with no second cabin, or a second cabin that doesn't have a door, is not very appealing. Our slip-mate has an older 36' that I really like. But he doesn't ever take it overnight anywhere. He's not the type to do that. If it were me, and day trips were my goal, I think I'd go with something smaller and save the fuel and dock space.

The other thing I've noticed is the divergence, from all manufacturers, between how they rig boats for the northwest, and how they rig them for the rest of the country. Up here, no serious cruiser wants anything to do with an electric range. Propane is prefered. We use radiant heat while underway, and diesel heat while at anchor. A few boats will have reverse cycle A/C for heat in the winter (while at the dock) or cooling in the summer (only on the hottest of days while running the genset).

But more and more boats are either abandoning our northwest desires entirely, or offering two different "packages". The "northwest" package includes a propane range, and diesel heat, while the "east-coast" or "all-climate" package includes an electric range, electric heat, and A/C. I guess the assumption is that you'll be running the genset 24/7 and use it for everything from heat to cooking. I suppose the benefit to this is that you don't need much in the way of batteries, but the downside, of course, is that you're constantly running that generator. Even if it is well insulated and doesn't disturb you with noise, it still seems like a horrendous waste of fuel.

Me, I want it all. I want a propane stove, radiant heat for when you're underway, diesel heat for when you're on the hook, and reverse-cycle A/C for when you're on the dock, or those occasional too-hot summer days. And if I want electric heat, I can just bring a space heater aboard. But most builders seem to assume that you'll do one or the other; diesel heat and propane, or run it all off the genset.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I always did like the look and construction of the Nordic.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Finally went back two more times. Not a whole lot to add, I guess. I saw no direct replacement for the Albin 28 in the market. At least not with diesels. There were quite a few offerings in that size range, however, that have gas outboards for power. One that caught my eye was Scout Boats. I'm not familiar with them, and had never heard of them, so I don't know much about their reputation for quality either way, but they at least appeared to be decently built boats with the right mix between fishing and cruising and comfortable seating and lots of little ingenious features. There are of course the usual offerings from Whaler, Grady, and others, but they all share the one common flaw: gas outboard power. The entire industry seems committed to it, and Albin's failing is an example of why; for whatever reason, diesel inboards simply intimidate buyers in that size market.

Oh well.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Mariner wrote:There are of course the usual offerings from Whaler, Grady, and others, but they all share the one common flaw: gas outboard power. The entire industry seems committed to it, and Albin's failing is an example of why; for whatever reason, diesel inboards simply intimidate buyers in that size market.
Scout is a well built boat that has always been in the shadow of Grady and Whaler. Personally, I like Scout better (even though I never owned one).

As far as you comments go about diesels possibly intimidating buyers in that size market, I'd have to disagree. Look at Shamrock. It's a well known and popular boat. I think those of us that buy these boat (single diesels) are just more committed to the hobby, lifestyle, and time commitment.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Shamrocks are virtually unheard of on the west coast. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion, but I'm just saying, they sure aren't very popular out here.

Of course, you could probably say the same thing about Albins. They're pretty darn rare here.

It's not that diesels aren't popular here, they actually are very popular for the 30' and up market, but below that, no one seems to be interested.

Return to “General Discussion”