• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stern tube

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Stern tube

Post by Russell »

Does anyone know where to get a new stern tube for a 28 TE? This is the part that hold the cutless bearing and mine needs to be replaced. With the factory closed my mechanic cannot locate the part. Thanks.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Try H&H Propeller. They provided the running gear to Albin. Props, shafts and I believe stern tubes.

http://www.hhprop.com/contact.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Kevin, Thanks for the help. I talked to Bob Pelletier and they might have something even if they were not the suppliers back in 97. By the way I uploaded an avatar of Silver Lining with the Rupp outriggers but they cannot be seen very well in the small picture. I tried to match the angle you have on yours and I think they look pretty good.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Russ I'm glad H&H can help out. I knew on my '02 they were the suppliers of the running gear. Bob is a member of AOG (bobhhprop). These guys are big time. They refurbish wheels the length of our boats and then some. A year ago they pressed a new cutlass bearing into the stern tube of my 28 and presto .... no more vibration.

Glad to hear you got the riggers up 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Here is a side picture showing the outriggers and you can almost see the gold rod holders on the radar arch you also told me about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

The stern tube is a potential problem for older Albins because it is bronze and not bonded. Galvanic corrosion destroyed the part that extends into the keel and keeps it centered. The broken edges were pink and it broke into several pieces. H&H Propellers apparently did not make the stern tube for the 1997 model. So my mechanic is going to have a machine shop either bore out the end and press fit a tube or bore out the whole thing to 2 inches and put in a long cutless bearing that will extend into the keel. He will also bond it. You might want to check to see if the stern tube on your boat is bonded.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”