• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 31 Tournament Express

William Rowell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 31 Tournament Express

Post by William Rowell »

I am about to pick up the 1997 31 Tournament Express I just purchased
with 370 Cummins. Does anyone know what size Racor filters this boat
would take.
William Rowell
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Welcome to AOG William!

As far as what filter you need - most of us here would tell you to check what's installed on your boat. Albin had a way of making production boats in a "one-off" manner. Even if someone else on the board has the same boat with the same engine the filter could be different! And of course with a boat that's been around the prior owners may well have changed out the original.

Assuming you had a survey done the filter may have been documented there. And you could call the seller or their broker and ask them to check. My boat came with spare filters for both the primary and secondary filters as part of the on-board toolkit that was left aboard.

Good luck with the new boat!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Fuel Filters

Post by TD »

I agree with Doug but just for info I have twin 370hp 6B Cummins and the Cummins tech recomends the Racor be 30microns. I am sure you have the larger Racor model 900. If this is the case I would put a element p/n RAC#2040PM-OR. The spin on micron is not advertised, however again the Cummins tech said they are around 10 microns.
I almost bought a 1996 31 TE but ran onto a 35TE. The 31 is a really nice boat. Enjoy!
Last edited by TD on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to the group William! As time allows posts some pictures of your boat and give us some details.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

"My Experience"

Post by Pitou »

Welcome William.

I as well have the Cummins 370 6BTA. Cummins sells the Fleetguard spin on filters for the motor which are 10 microns. I have used the Fleetguard as well as a Wix filter which is also 10 Microns. I have the Racor 900 Series Turbine. When I purchased my boat the Racor had the 2040PM/30 Micron filter. Standish Boat Yard Recommended it be replace with the 2040TM/10 Micron filter which would reduce the filter changes necessary at the engine (the spin on). Their reasoning "who wants to change the spin on in a sloppy sea, if you have a plugged filter it is alot easier to change the Racor." I have followed their advice and been fine.
I do plan to install a "Look Down" Racor vacuum gauge which will indicate when the Racor element will need to be changed. Not a bad idea regardless which element you use.
From a previous post : http://www.designatedengineer.com/

[img][img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/ ... nGauge.jpg[/img][/img]
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I would prefer to change a spin on in some seas any day---over the Racor even though my Racors are very accessible. My reason is that when you take the top lid off the Racor to remove the filter you have like a round 5" diameter bowl of diesel to slosh around. Also when you put the new filter in I always top off with diesel to eliminate as much air as possible. You could not top this off very full in any kind sea wave condition. The spin on can be filled and controlled easier for less air, however, this is only my opinion. I am no expert. From an engineering standpoint on fuel flow --I believe you can get more through a 30 micron partially plugged filter than a 10 micron. So I think you will see fuel starvation coming on better.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”