• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder issues

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Milford ct

Rudder issues

Post by Longo »

Hello all - have a 37 palm beach model and my port rudder was taking on water all last year and has a bit of “wobble” in it. I bought the boat knowing that I would have to re-pack the bearing but before i go into uncharted waters does anyone have any advise/direction on removing and what needs to be done?

Thanks - John.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Re: Rudder issues

Post by cdsailor »

We have a '79 36 DC. Not sure if the rudder setup is similar or not. If you don't get model-specific feedback, I can share what I know about our rudder system. Let me know.
Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longo »

Hi - thanks! Actually just pulled the top packing retainer off and pulled off to he old packing out which was in very bad shape. To my surprise the cutlass bearing looked fine so i believe i dodged a bullet. So will be re-packing and should be all set.

Again - thanks. John.
cdsailor
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Joseph

Post by cdsailor »

If you have a chance, snap a photo or two of the rudder setup. I'd be interesting in seeing how it compares to ours.
Longo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longo »

Will do - stay safe!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”