• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Picture request: canvas over wheelhouse

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Picture request: canvas over wheelhouse

Post by nebulatech »

Hi all!

My canvas came last week to remake the canvas cover for the wheelhouse. My boat came with a cheap board screwed down over the opening and none of the original fastners, so I have no template to work off of or any suggestion of what was used to secure the canvas. I searched the forums before I ordered materials, and best I can tell, the forward side of the canvas is held down by two straps of webbing.

Does anyone have handy some images of what their canvas top looks like, something I could use to figure out how to fasten the canvas? I know some A25 owners have outfitted a raised bimini or a hard top. I'm interested in the original design from Albin. (Hard top is a few years off for me...) My wheelhouse has some, for the lack of a better term, cleat-like appendages just below the top on the forward side of the opening. I'm going to try to brave the torrents of rain and go get some pictures of what the inside looks like.

Thank you in advance!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Picture request: canvas over wheelhouse

Post by nebulatech »

This is what the canvas hold-downs look like in the wheelhouse. There are 4 of them along the forward edge of the opening. At least, I'm assuming they are hold-downs for the canvas, but I'm not sure if they are original, or how they were intended to work. They look like they are for small cord, 3/16" or so.
canvas-holddown.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is the closest thing I could find on the interwebs to show the OEM canvas cover arrangement.
A25 canvas top.jpg
They came with a 1.5" W x 59.5" L X 1/4" thick fiberglass flat bar that could flex into a slight arch to support the middle of the canvas "athwartships", likely to give it a "crown" shape so rainwater wouldn't pool in the middle. Stiffness of the bar is about like an archery bow.

They had fittings to insert the ends of the bar into, seen circled in red at lower right in this photo of the underside of my hard top (click once on photo to enlarge, click 2nd time for tight zoom in).
DSCN2019edit.jpg
Just so happens I still have that fiberglass flat bar support & the end fittings (lying around my shop somewhere or other).

Extend the canvas slightly beyond the lip edges of the roof opening & use button snap fasteners.
Snap-Fastener-Cloth-to-Surface-Silver-Button-3-8-Screw-Stud_1.jpg

I really don't have further use for that bar. PM me about sending it to you, free + shipping. I would wait until you had that bar or the equivalent installed, then use that Sailrite Dura-Skrim (R) patterning material to stretch over the opening to pattern for a snug fit and allow enough material to sew a fold over seam to reinforce the edges & then place snaps. Make sure to seal the screw holes with bedding caulk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My boat came with a cheap board screwed down over the opening
Mine came with a funky lexan pop top cover that was never able to latch down tight nor make watertight & had to tie ropes across the grab rails to keep it from blowing open on the road. One day if finally did while driving down the road at 50 MPH, flew up & broke into 3 pieces. That's when I decided enough of that noise & made the hard top.
0306141616.jpg
Now it looks like this, through bolted on 8" centers, sealed with 3M 4200 removable sealant/adhesive...
DSCN2021.JPG
DSCN2057.JPG
Not an easy job, but worth the effort.
DSCN1916R (1024x768).jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Here are some pics of my canvas cover. It’s under the winter cover right now, so not the best pics.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Gentlemen thank you!

DA, I'll message you about the flexible bar. Thank you! Dieselram94, it looks like you are using tie downs above the windshield, along with snaps. Is there also a reinforcing bar along the forward edge?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Yes, the tie downs are bungee cord material from a previous owner. They are tied around a stainless rod sewn into the leading edge of the canvas top. It works well, but the bungee material is old and crude. I need to address that at some point. As you can see in that picture, the gel coat is in bad shape. Lol
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

OK, I think I have an idea how this works now. I need to order some of the snaps DA sent pictures of. I will hopefully be able to make the cover next weekend. Pictures coming.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'd suggest waiting until you have the bar installed before patterning & sewing the canvas. I can send the bar out first thing which is packed & ready to go & trust you to remit the shipping cost while it's in transit. Just need your name & mailing address. See PM.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Jason,
Here's another photo of an Albin 25 with original style canvas cover over the wheelhouse, this boat home ported in Ladysmith, BC, Canada. He used DOT twist snaps which would probably be easier to unsnap than button snaps. Note how he extended the edge seams past the raised lip of the opening & the clearly visible effect of the center support bow.
20180721_102358.jpg
Check my reply to your PM on mailing options.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Wow, yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

You make a superb point about the twist snaps. I already have some, and from my understanding, my punch can make the hole for them. Sailrite's website suggests you use a round punch, which is what I have for adding grommets. I'm so excited now. It doesn't look like I need straps in the front with this method.

I'm off to check your PM now.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Come to think of it, mine uses the twist snaps as well. I’ll climb up there tomorrow and get a picture of how it’s arranged as I don’t 100% remember how it’s set up.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin was kind enough to send me the fiberglass support rod to keep the wheelhouse canvas from sagging. Thanks Steve!

I should be posting pictures in the next week or two. It's actually only the 3rd time I've used a sewing machine, so fingers crossed.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Fingers crossed...by zigzag stitcher! Careful there! It is a learned skill, that sewing machine thing. One I have not mastered.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Helps sometimes to practice on scrap material to get the hang of it & make sure you have the right # needle (different types for different threads & materials, canvas vs leather etc) & machine is not skipping stitches. You'll be a pro in no time. Those Sailrite how to videos are worth their weight in gold to help learn tricks of the trade. It's actually fun. Before you know it you'll be making covers for the windshield & side windows, cushions for the cockpit side bench seats, etc. Sewing is not a "girly" thing, just another aspect of marlinspike seamanship. Arrrgh!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”