• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stringer Problems on a 31 TE

malus
Deckhand
Deckhand

Stringer Problems on a 31 TE

Post by malus »

Hello,
I am new to this group, am owner of a single engine 2003 TE and have discovered moisture in my stringers, probably due to poor sealing of the limber holes.
Has anyone experienced similar problems? Are you aware of whether the stringers serve a structural function or are they mainly for providing stability?
Morning Star

31TE Moisture in Stringers

Post by Morning Star »

My 31TE is a 1997 model with twin diesels. Yes, the stringers are a structural member, which provide significant fore & aft support to the hull. I've also found moisture in the stringers, I believe from improper sealing (lack of sealant) of various screw holes, etc.

Not sure what can be done to repair. On holes that are accessible, I've drilled them out, picked out any core that can be reached, and then filled the void with epoxy, either thickened or as-mixed.

It's also my understanding that ALBIN used balsa core until about 2000 and then used a non-organic core thereafter. My guess is with the non-organic core material, moisture in the stringers would not be a serious concern.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How

Post by RicM »

I am a 2003 28TE owner also and I'm wondering how you discovered the problem. Is your boat in the water year round?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Morning Star

31TE Stringer Moisture

Post by Morning Star »

Our boat is not in the water yet, but yes, when it is, it will be in the water all year. In Vancouver, BC, the winters are wet, but not very cold, so the annual haul-out that you do in the east is not an issue here. It does rain every once in a while, however.....

I discovered the moisture when drilling holes to mount something or as a pilot hole for a screw. The core mtl that is damp sticks to a drill bit in a different way than dry sawdust, and you can also feel it.

However, I found the same issue on a Wellcraft 23 that was our previous boat. Most core mtl, etc. in that boat was damp too, but it didn't seem to matter. That boat was more than ten years old, but there were no detrimental effects that I ever saw.

I also found that most accessories mtd on the 31TE cabin roof (antennas, GPS receivers, etc.) were not sealed very well either, so they have been all drilled out, filled with epoxy and redone properly.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Morning Star,
I've been following your posts about your 31. If you have time it would be great to prepare one post that covers everything you are doing/have done with pictures if possible. Maybe some time in January if you get a chance? You are obviously a big DIY'er. I'm learing some interesting stuff from you.
Thanks for joining our group. You NEED a burgee.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Morning Star

31TE History

Post by Morning Star »

Hi John -

Interesting idea; I'd given that some thought but wondered if it would be wise to make too much of an issue of some the problems I've found. You know, do not want to sound too negative......

But I have learned a huge amount about the boat (still absolutely love it) and would be pleased to share what I've learned.

There are a few 'customizing' ideas I've come up with, which I'll definitely photograph and share. And yes, I'll even show you guys my painted bilge....!

I'll get started on that in Jan; my wife forces me to go to Maui with her for Xmas, so I'm not around the boat again until early Jan. Miss her like hell (the boat....), but is a great time to think and plan.

And yes, I'll have to learn how to do the burgee thing....
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Burgee Member

Post by Pitou »

Morning Star wrote:Hi John -

And yes, I'll have to learn how to do the burgee thing....
Morning Star and others / just follow this link
viewtopic.php?t=450 :D
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
malus
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by malus »

Thanks for all the replies concerning the stringers on my Albin 31TE.

My problem seems to arise from improper sealing of the limber holes. I am working with an engineering firm to see if ultrasonic or thermographic non-destructive testing can determine the extent of the problem. The boat is still covered by the extended five-year hull warranty. However, although I sent Albin a certified letter to advise them of a possible claim, I have received no response whatsoever. Emails and phone calls do not get answered, either. Are they in Chapter 11?

Has anybody experience with warranty claims with Albin?

Malus
malus
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: How

Post by malus »

RicM wrote:I am a 2003 28TE owner also and I'm wondering how you discovered the problem. Is your boat in the water year round?
The problem with my stringers was discovered when I took my boat for some repairs and analysis to a yard that I had not previously worked with. The problem is evidenced by some brown coffee like seepage coming from screw fittings and around the base of the limber holes.
Malus
Morning Star

Albin 31TE Stringers

Post by Morning Star »

Ric - What was the fix, if any?
malus
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: Albin 31TE Stringers

Post by malus »

Morning Star wrote:Ric - What was the fix, if any?
A fix has not yet been settled on. We are in the process of determining the extent of the damage. A fix will likely involve opening the stringers, getting rid of the water, then impregnating the wood with a water displacing chemical/sealant, and glassing over the various openings.
Malus

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”