• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

ALBIN 31 Exhaust System

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Morning Star

ALBIN 31 Exhaust System

Post by Morning Star »

I have a new-to-me ALBIN 31 with twin Peninsular diesels; it's a 1997 model. I'm at the stage of replacing most hoses on the engine, exhaust, head, bilge pumps, etc.

However, when I took out the 5" exhaust hoses, elbows, etc., I found a significant build-up of salt crystals EVERYWHERE. That included the turbo outlet, the exhaust manifolds and elbows. So, I ended up taking off the turbos, all the manifolds, etc., and had them cleaned and pressure-tested.

No damage to the turbos either, thankfully, although the water-cooled elbows were shot internally. (A fresh water flush for those elbows would be a really good idea).

There were no cracks or leaks on any of the components, so I assume the problem was the original installation of the exhaust system.

There were no flapper valves on the transom fittings, and I also found a belly in the 5" exhaust hose between the mufflers and the elbow about 24" away from the turbo (not the water-cooled elbow) where sea water would accumulate when the boat was moored. And as waves were generated by passing boats or whatever, sea water would back up into and past the mufflers.

My guess is that sea water regularly would enter the mufflers and sit in the belly on the engine side of the mufflers. Then, as the ambient temperature would change, salt crystals would form anywhere the humid salt air could access.

I'm redoing the entire exhaust system with new SS elbows, silicone hose, and a support for the hose between the elbows and the mufflers to make sure the slope is correct and continuous.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Would be interested in hearing any comments or suggestions.

Thx,

Peter Sampson
Morning Star V
malus
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by malus »

I have not had your problem, but found that on my single engine 450 Cummins 2003 31TE the exhaust system was not installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. This could have lead to seawater being siphoned into the engine. Correction involved manufacturing a new exhaust elbo.Not a cheap repair!
Malus
Morning Star

31TE Exhaust System

Post by Morning Star »

Hi Malus - Interesting; could you pls tell me more about the replacement exhaust elbow? Was it one that had a riser in it, that raised the elevation of the point at which raw water was injected for cooling?

I've wondered if mine should be higher, but at 600 hrs. things are probably o.k. as is, if I correct the slope problem in the main run to the transom.

Thx for the comment.
William Rowell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exhaust

Post by William Rowell »

I just purchased a 1997 31 Tournament Express and the seller had Cummins replaced exhaust manifolds and risers. They did not show
any wear on the outside but looking from the inside they were shot.
William Rowell

Return to “Albin Maintenance”