• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

bilge water

Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

bilge water

Post by Ray Morley »

As I mentioned in an earlier post I bought my 2001 28 TE in Maine last April. 135 hours on the Yanmar. All summer I had to deal with constant water in the bilge. In fact I noticed in the dead of winter up in Maine while I was looking at the boat, there was water in the bilge that the boat yard had "winterized" (they put antifreeze in the bilge) because they told me you cannot get all of the water out of the bilge. They were right. You would think with three bilge pumps the water would go, but not so. Here is what I have done. This fall my mechanic drilled a hole at the lowest point in the hull, to let all of the water out of the boat. We will put in a plug for the summer. I am intending to remove the center bilge under the batteries, I can't get to it without removing the batteries, can't see it and I don't know if it is working. The water never gets high enough to turn it on! I am replacing the aft bilge because I discovered the damn thing never worked, and this summer with one bilge forward and another aft we should be in reasonable shape. As for the hole in the hull I can now remove all of the water in my boat when I winterize it. Maybe I made a mistake with the small hole however this solves the winter water problem.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Ray, We all know what you are talking about and there are some threads on this subject. Some have added bilge pumps beneath the dinette to get that low spot in the bilge. That's on my list. At haul out I have the travel lift raise the bow high enough to let gravity carry the water out and set her on blocks and stands in this position so when winterizing commences everything runs out. I hope you had a great 1st season.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

my mechanic drilled a hole at the lowest point in the hull, to let all of the water out of the boat
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Ray,

Is this your forward bilge area (under the cabin sole where the shower pump is located) or aft, under the engine? My 1997 has a garbord plug mounted at the low point of the bilge on the skeg, just forward of the prop. I think there was once a pump back there but I can't see it. (just the old wires)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Doug, the bilge pump I think you are referring to is up near the waste holding tank. I think we have similar models and my pump is a belt driven remote pump. A hose goes down under the engine to suction the water and the float switch is on an aluminium rod attached to the fuel tank bulkhead. The float switch is very easy to change if necessary. Also when I remove the flush plug on my skeg, most of the water drips out. Just make sure that they angle the boat on the stands to get good drainage. WOW :shock: , drilling a hole in the boat to let the water out!
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”