• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

four bladed prop

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tjamison
Deckhand
Deckhand

four bladed prop

Post by tjamison »

I have a 1996 28'TE. The previous owner replaced the original prop with a 4 blade prop.

Is this better for the boat? I have a Volvo Penta 7.4Gi gas engine.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

I'm not an expert

I did find this website explaining advantages and disadvantages for both

http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk/art ... 0yours.htm

Here is a copy and paste from the article:

3 Blade vs. 4 Blade

The 3 blade prop has been the design of choice for performance boaters for many years. It works well, provides good acceleration and control and excellent top speed performance. In the past few years, however, the 4 blade propeller has been gaining in popularity due to it's different handling and performance characteristics.
The 4 blade configuration is popular with boaters who are looking for a great hole shot, good acceleration, and strong, predictable low to mid range handling, at a possible expense of top speed.

This group of boaters includes certain types of fishing boats, ski boats, and boats that are used in rough water conditions.

In general, when replacing a 3 blade propeller with a 4 blade propeller of the same diameter and pitch, expect a loss of 50 to 100 rpm at full throttle (with a corresponding decrease in top speed). This is due to the fact that 4 blade propeller has slightly more drag in the water.

_____

I have a 28TE with a diesel Peninsular 280 HP Turbo
3 bladed Nibral, 18 LH 17 with cup

Maybe 4 blade is better for gas engines. :?: Maybe he was looking for better fuel efficiency for his way of boating

Gery Garcia
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

TJ, did I meet you at Spicers Marina last spring? I was the Albin parked a couple of boats away from you.
If so, Im glad you found us here and how was your first summer with your new boat? Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

TJ,
Is that an I/O or Inboard?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Olympia Jim

3 blade vs. 4 Blade

Post by Olympia Jim »

Hi, I'm a new member of this group and also a new Albin 27 owner who's busy learning.

I've talked to some who say the four blade prop can, in some cases, reduce vibration and quiet things down.

Does this sqare with the experience of others?

Jim
bobhhprop
Deckhand
Deckhand

prop

Post by bobhhprop »

Jim what year is your 27?

Return to “General Discussion”