• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

winterize

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

winterize

Post by RicM »

I am interested in how others get antifreeze into the part of the freshwater system from the dockside (pressurized) water inlet and the rest of the system.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Ric .... maybe a little more description than you are looking for, but for the benefit of all.

The dockside pressure inlet and bulk water tank fill just drain into the tank and clear themselves as the tank drains. My method for protecting the fresh water system is to first drain the fresh water tank by opening all fresh water faucets and then I drain the hot water tank which has a bronze sillcock at the bottom. Be sure to do this when in the water and before haul because if you wait until you're on the hard the tank will be pitched to the stern and you will never get all the water out of the freshwater tank as the outlet is at the stem side of the boat. Both tanks are now empty and winterized!

I by-pass the hot water tank by disconnecting the cold water inlet and hot water outlet pex tubing and connect the disconnected cold water pex into the hot water outlet pex (blue to orange) using one of the pex couplings at the tank. This by-passes the hot water tank. No need to fill that tank with poly-prop. They do sell a by-pass kit, but my thought is .... no need, I by-pass it myself in about 45 seconds.

I then disconnect the pex where it comes out of the fresh water tank and slide a snug fitting clear length of flexible hose over the pex leading to the fresh water pump. The 1st time I did this I brought a piece of pex to the hardware store to be sure and get a hose that fit snuggly. Put the other end of the hose in a gallon of poly-prop, open up one cold water faucet at a time and watch the pink stuff flow or froth and continue until all cold fresh water lines are done and then move onto the hot side and do the same. I am always sure to run enough in the galley and head sinks as to clear the drains and send some overboard.

I leave all faucets open for storage along with the drain on the hotwater tank and do not re-connect the pex to the fresh water tank until spring to leave a little room in case not ALL the water is out of the fresh water tank just in case for expansion. It hasn't been necessary, but why not. Just be sure to remember to to re-assemble the pex, close the faucets and hotwater tank drain in the spring or you might here the bilges kick on as the hotwater tank drains and drains and drains ......... . I re-connected everything that first year except guess what I forgot to close the hotwater tank drain ! :oops: I was wondering, will this fresh water tank ever fill. :roll:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”