• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Isuzu Exhaust Mixing Elbow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Isuzu Exhaust Mixing Elbow

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi Everyone

I've got a pinhole leak on my 155 hp 6BD1 Isuzu exhaust elbow and I'm having difficulty finding a replacement part. Any suggestions on where I should look? All the companies listed in my instruction manual that were entered by POs aren't in business!

Thanks for the assistance

Jay
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Isuzu Exhaust Mixing Elbow

Post by Tree »

Jay

Have you tried HDI marine? I bought a set of dry and wet elbows from them in stainless steel imported to the UK for half the price of the yanmar cast iron dry elbow. Quality of the product is brilliant.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks Tree

I saw their website but they specialize in Yanmar DD Volvo and Northern Lights

The search continues! In the mean time I'm going to wrap mine with silicone rescue tape, the leak isn't significant at the moment and I want to use the boat.

Jay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Not sure how the Isuzu elbows work, but my ancient Volvo Penta had a weeping elbow when first we bought the boat (A25). How bad could that be? While doing some winter maintenance, I took it into a machine shop and asked the folks to cold tank it for me, sort of freshen it up. Then he went one more for me and threw it in the bead blaster so the paint would stick real good. Blew it to smithereens on the first blow. He apologized profusely and I learned why they are maintenance items. I like the idea of a SS replacement. And my leak wasn't significant either. I just rushed it along a bit and could have nursed it along. I did find a SS elbow in a local chandlery, fits, works and everything, but the seawater inlet is a bit close to the top end and I am concerned about how close it is to the exhaust valve in cylinder #3. Or is it #1?

Good luck on the search!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Marine Manifold Corp located on Long Island, NY. http://www.marinemanifoldcorp.com/

Give them a call. They make all kinds of custom risers, elbows, and manifolds.
I had them make a riser/elbow for me in the past and they do excellent work.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks, will give them a call
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

on a related matter does anyone have a source for the gasket between the exhaust elbow and the manifold? the firm that is going to fabricate the elbow says that it doesn't provide gaskets and I'm hesitant to tear the system apart until I know that I can source all the parts necessary to put it back together again!

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Jay
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi Everyone

The replacement elbow for my Isuzu 155 hp arrived today. I'm not going to spend any time detailing the many firms who never responded to my inquiry about a replacement, nor will I identify those who initially responded and then just stopped answering my emails after I provided additional information that they requested for a quote.

But I will say that Mark Coulson at Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama was the one guy who, once I found his firm, promptly replied to all my inquiries and give me a tentative quote on the phone based on the pics I sent, followed thru with a final quote and explained why it was different from the estimate and completed the build in a timely manner. The final quote was a bit higher than his original estimate because I didn't know that the elbow had a floating flange ring, and he couldn't tell that from the pics I sent, but the variance wasn't unreasonable. My mechanic is happy with the replacement, said that they used "good thick material" so if you need exhaust system repairs, based on my experience I'd encourage you to give him a call.

http://www.mesamarine.com
IMG_1186.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”