• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Idiot in a rowing shell

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Idiot in a rowing shell

Post by Mariner »

We've got the first big windstorm of the season just starting to fire up as we speak, and I just saw some idiot in a rowing shell cruise by my office on his way out into the bay. I wonder if he realizes that he's going to be facing 3' swells and 50 knot winds?

And no, of course he wasn't wearing a life jacket.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'm sure he would brag about being physically fit and not needing a PFD.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

We have those same idiot's here. I do most of my SCUBA diving at night and by eleven or twelve at night there is almost no one out on the water. But I have had to make evasive moves to miss a couple of those nuts out there with no lights on in kayaks paddling around two miles off shore, yikes! :shock: That is anothere reason why I can't understand how people drive around out there with no headlight. I leave my light on until I get into the river or if I see another boat nearby. I would never see them until it was too late.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, I didn't see anything in the news about any missing rowers, but someone did die in Seattle while Kite Surfing. At least with the Kite Surfing I can understand the irresistable draw of crusing across the water at what must be incredible speeds in a wind storm like that. But with rowing, I don't see how it could possibly be a good idea, under any set of logic, to head out in that kind of weather.
henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

shell

Post by henry robertson »

20% of beaufort search rescue responses are for this type people--very fit --to much empty space between ears. less than 1 in 10 even say thank you. one person we had to assist 3 times in 24 hours.
if those who don't like life jackets could just see our retreival hooks------
henry
henry
albin 31
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I had to slow down to idle speed last weekend because a group of kayakers were in the middle of the creek. One of them had something to say when I pushed through the middle. I really had no choice. The narrow channel is only 5 feet. Either side is 2-3 feet. I reminded him that state park rules tell them to stay near the shoreline and not in the channel. Most boaters would not have slowed down and just plowed through.
I can understand it though. These are mostly rentals. They get a 10 minute lesson and then they are cut loose. At least the jet-ski idiots have power to get out of the way.

By the way...kayak is the same right to left, left to right. Is that a palindrome?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

And yet, when you're in one and you lean, left to right, or right to left, you end up upside down. Isn't that called a pal who downed?

Return to “General Discussion”