• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Turbo Charger RemovaL Yanmar 6lpa-stp???Help

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Turbo Charger RemovaL Yanmar 6lpa-stp???Help

Post by dasabalon »

Has anyone removed the turbo off there engine? I have a 2004 28 Flush deck. I have a hole in the exhaust side of the turbo just behind the vband flange. I thought the gasket let go between the mixing elbow and the charger but unfortunately not..... Has anyone taken the turbo off? If so, I was hoping you could help me out. I'm not sure how to even get to the top port side nut. do I need to take the transmission lines off and the oil cooler and remove it that way?

Thanks for any help
Don
Abalon 28 flush deck
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Turbo Charger RemovaL Yanmar 6lpa-stp???Help

Post by Carl »

It sounds like your dry exhaust elbow might have rusted through which is common if it has not already been changed. Is the hole in the turbo, or behind it in the elbow? If so, do a search here, and you will find info to replace it with a SS one.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

This happened to a fellow boater in my marina this summer, but on a different boat. Cost him $3500 for a new turbocharger.
Bolts were extremely difficult to get off and re-install but he was able to do it thanks to some ingenuity on his part.
Good luck
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Post by dasabalon »

Thanks for the replies, I did put a new stainless exhaust riser on, Two seasons ago When I changed it out I did notice the turbo looked like it had been welded behind the mounting flange. Which is where the hole showed itself. I removed the turbo. I only had To contort my 6'7" frame into circus performer poses. The turbo was definitely off before and the previous owner must have opted for a cheap fix just to sell the boat. Unfortunately I did not pick up on that. I was able to purchase a new oem turbo from Naples turbo and it should be here by Thursday.
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY

Return to “Albin Maintenance”