• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 78 H LD 28 Diesel Timing Belt

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kickinmule
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Berwick

Albin 27 78 H LD 28 Diesel Timing Belt

Post by kickinmule »

Considering a purchase with of an Albin 27 FC with the Nissan 78 H LD 28 Diesel approx 1145 Hours, Current owner says th timing belt has not, to his knowledge been changed. I understand it should be done every 500 hours, Is this a huge job? I am not a mechanic, Thanks
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Re: Albin 27 78 H LD 28 Diesel Timing Belt

Post by tego »

The manual says every 500 hrs but at our speeds, I'm sure it'll go 1000 hrs. I looked at mine awhile back @ 600 hrs and it looked like the new one I had. It'll be a considerable task to change it. You have to remove the belt cover housing underneath the heat exchanger at the front of the engine. It's tough to see the alignment marks on the pulleys in the best of conditions so it'll be a bear in those cramped quarters. I think I'll just pull my engine to do it when it's time. I have some other tasks I'd like to do without an engine in the way. It'll be a pain in the bu** but I dearly love this boat. Ben
bennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dallas Texas

Post by bennett »

I have an Albin 27 Express with the LD28 Nissan.A friend of mine purchased it and called me to come over to give him a price to refurbish/replace the woodwork. I made it easy for him,I just bought it from him .In the coarse of cleaning up the engine I removed the heat exchanger to repaint the engine.At that point I had fair access to the timing belt.I brought the pulley marks up to where they were visible before removing the old belt .The new belt has timing marks on it so it was relatively simple.Also a mirror helps.I changed,belts, water pump impeller and alternator while I was at it.The list goes on .I have been told it is a disease !
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

BMS, Thanks lots for the info. Maybe I'll try your way first! Ben
autoacademy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club, Montreal, Qc. Canada

Post by autoacademy »

I just got it done by an experienced diesel mechanic and it was done in an hour.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”