• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC power selector switch issue

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

AC power selector switch issue

Post by Dr Luke »

At the end of last season, I had the two shore power cables plugged in, and wanted to fire up the gennie to make sure its battery had adequate charge (long story, but entailed a fried Charles charger and two other batteries needing replacement). Anyway, when I moved the selector switch from shore to off, I expected my ac outlets to lose power, but a fan that was on and plugged in stayed on. Needless to say, gennie was not started at that time due to risk of two ac power sources being energized at one time.
I went over the wiring with a skilled mechanic recently, only to find that the selector switch has a few issues: it only connects to one of two shore power cables and gennie, doesn't have correct number of terminals do deal with dual shore power connections, BUT it also is connected to the ac wiring after it is connected to main breaker - without further wire tracing, this seems to be a bit dangerous, and more importantly, wiring appears to be factory, and not modified.
Vessel is a 2000 32+2.
Has anyone else seen this issue on their boats?
It looks to me like a new switch with appropriate number of terminals is warranted, and the second ac-in wiring needs tracked down to connect to the selector switch...
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: AC power selector switch issue

Post by rcwhite »

Sounds scary. I have two shore power connections, each to their own main. On one side there
is a breaker with lockout for the genny and on the other side (AC primarily) it runs through a transfer switch before the panel. The genny appears to have been added after the fact but the main panel with the lockout appears to be factory for a genny/inverter option.

I would be suprised to see the factory wiring bypass the mains. While manufactures don't always
do as well on the mechanicals, what you have sounds like it was done by someone that hadn't
wired anything before.
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

Do your mains disconnect both legs of the ac input? Haven't checked mine yet, got too excited about what I did see...
I too have the main with lockout for genny, and one for one pair of ac shore power input, other shore power goes to ac and outlets without a lockout main.
Needless to say, selector switch is being replaced, and all ac power inputs (both legs) are going through it.
Paul

Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

Sorted out the wiring to selector switch, should work fine now (confirmed by testing). Even gained indicator lights in case of polarity reversal or missing shore power input.
Paul

Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr Luke »

IMG_8896.JPG
IMG_8897.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Paul

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Glad you got that worked out!
Doug
Sonny IV