• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Its flushed...

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Its flushed...

Post by chiefrcd »

About 18 months ago, I had a issue with the hose blowing off the inter-cooler. After several attempts to keep the hose on, we finally removed the water jacket and had it cleaned out and reinstalled. All worked great for 18 months then a few weeks ago, the hose came off again. Since there is also a transmission cooler, the inter-cooler and a oil cooler, I decided to try the salt water side flush that Yanmar recommends.

The mechanics used two gallons diluted 50/50 and left it in over night. Just got a call from the mechanic and he said that a bunch of "stufF" came out with the cooling water. I won't be able to get down until next week due to the races, but I'll let you all know if I notice a change. They did sea trial it and the hose stayed on....so that is a good sign. The only thing to remember is that you have to replace your pencil zincs after the flush as it eats them up too.

If it works it will be $200.00 vs the $1400.00 plus I paid just to have the heat exchanger cleaned. I have no idea what it would cost to remove all the coolers, have them cleaned and re-installed.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Rydlyme ??

Post by Pitou »

Hey Chief
Did you use the RydLyme product that you introduced to the AOG ?
I've had that stuff on my mind to use before lay-up time.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Yes, as far as I know it's the only thing approved by Yanmar and Mac Boring. I let the Boat Yard do it because the engine/cooling zincs need to be changed after flushing and I can't get to most of them....also I figured if something went wrong that would at least be on top of it. They've done a number of Yanmars with great success.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”