• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking at at Albin 40 found this

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

BLACKBIRD2
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: St. Augustine

Looking at at Albin 40 found this

Post by BLACKBIRD2 »

We are looking at a 40,,overall good condition, is something that should be a deal breaker,its a 1985
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Looking at at Albin 40 found this

Post by Panhdjoe »

This appears to be in the forward cabin at the anchor locker, If thats the case it probably would not bother me much. Before we bought our 1983 36 I looked at about 3 36s and one 43 and they all had some water intrusion damage somewhere. It may be from wet anchor rode over the years. My question would be is it an active leak or not, if its dry I would not worry about it. i doubt you will find any of the older trawlers that don't have something like that.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"You've got a little dry rot here Boss. At least it's above the waterline. Well, most of it anyway."
Captain Ron to owner Martin Harvey aboard the Formosa 51 sailing yacht "Wanderer".

An attempt at injecting a little levity there, in case you haven't seen that classic Kurt Russell movie. But that said I agree with Panhdjoe, at first glance that particular spot looks more cosmetic than structural. I assume if you're seriously looking to buy a 40 footer and this particular one is on your short list, then you'd make your offer contingent on a professional survey, which could determine whether it's a serious leak/deck rot or other structural issue or not. At minimum I'd check around & get a rough idea of cost to repair that panel (matching marine grade teak veneer wood being expensive & all) and factor that into your offer relative to overall market value of comps and the condition of the rest of the boat.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

We purchased an '86 43 sundeck with similar forward locker issue displayed.

I found the problem was that someone left the anchor locker chain hawse cover open/off, it would seem for years. I put the top back on and haven't had any other issues.

We bought ours in 2010 and still have yet to fix this. We've done a lot more to her though. I'm cogitating on the best way to do it without replacing the whole bulkhead.

I would say that if that is the worst of it, and all else is great, and you like the boat, go for it. We feel we couldn't have purchased a better boat for us.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me off list.

Good luck.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

As long as it's not structual. I wonder if you can remove the shelves or births and skin the wall.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”