• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel water warning

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Fuel water warning

Post by irishwake »

I have a 2002 Albin 31 TE with a Cummins 6CTA 8.3 450 hp. The other day when I went to start my engine the fuel water warning light & buzzer went off. A check of my Racor 500MA filter shows no sending unit or wires going to the instrument panel. The filter on the Cummins engine also has no sending unit or wires going to the instrument panel. After talking to my mechanic he informed me that he has 2 other boats with the same Cummins engines that have the same problem. He thought it might be a intermittent short in the instrument panel. When I went to start the engine a few days later no alarms. Also draining the filters showed no water in either filter. Anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions? Should I look to install a sensor in the fuel system? Thanks for any help!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Fuel water warining

Post by catalina_mike »

Most "Idiot" lights in control panels are powered all the time the engine is running. So all it needs is a ground "chafed wire" to light up. I would disconnect the wire from the bulb if you know your fuel is good. I hate phantom lights showing up and if you don't have the water float switch you don't need the light.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pull this wire on the PCB All it causes is what you experienced. Racor 500? That is small for your engine, you sure it's not the 900?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by irishwake »

Thank you for the help! Will pull wire on next trip to the boat. It is the 900, I was looking at a something else when I was writing the problem. The alarm has not gone off except for that one time. Spent to much time changing filters and checking wires for a false alarm. The fun of being a boat owner.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sounds good Dan and good to hear on the Racor too. I still owe you lunch from 3 years ago (wow time flies) for that boat inspection, I haven't forgotten, just haven't been lucky enough to visit your area!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fuel water warning

Post by irishwake »

Thank you Rob for the picture of the wire connection to the panel. Went to the boat yesterday and saw the wire you referenced. Since the alarm was no longer going off I figured I would leave well enough alone until the next time it rears it's ugly head and then disconnect it. It is easy to get to so it wouldn't be a big problem. Besides you always need a little alarm going off to get your heart racing and your brain moving into high gear, throw in a few curses and you are once again pleasure boating! If you ever get to this area I will take you up on that lunch offer. As far as looking at the boat for you it was my pleasure. After all we are fellow New Yorker's.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”