• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

TonyAmalfitano

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

I didn't know where to ask this question, so I put it here.
Has anyone ever heard of a boat named with a number? I'm thinking about using my badge number as the name for my next boat. What do you think about that?
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number

Post by RicM »

I suppose it would depend on the number. The primary reason for a name is to allow you to identify yourself and for others to be able to hail you. If the number was 666 it would probably be easy enough for the marina operator to remember and return your hail. 83645850 would not work.

CG Regs state: "The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. The name does NOT have to be unique."
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

How about 8675309 (tommy tutone)
#9 (Beatles) But, I think that was revolution #9.

Anyway...why not? It's your number right?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
TonyAmalfitano

Yeah!

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

Yeah!! It is my number, "One Six Four" has been my name for the last 20 years, and will retire with me. It's not almost obscene like "BULL SHIP" or "BASS HOLE." (Real boat names around these parts!)
I might just do it!
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think if you spell it out like that, it's fine. Anything more than three digits, though, would probably be too much.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

The only concern I would have around here is that the Coast Guard uses #'s for their vessels. IE. Coast Guard 41321 to Castle Hill Sta.

As for lettering the Transom, Spelling out the words would look unique. Like you said it's a whole lot better than some of the names in use. I heard one this weekend that I couldn't believe hasn't drawn the attention of the Coast Guard - Emerging Sea

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Names

Post by RicM »

My current favorite is "Silence of the Clams".
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Names

Post by jcollins »

RicM wrote:My current favorite is "Silence of the Clams".
Looks like it's time to start a thread. :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

As Jack said thats how the USCG and Navy does all the small boats, I'm not sure about the big cutters but the small boats are numbered and they usually use the last three didgets to refer to the boat...our old UTB was 41371 and was known as the 371....and of course everyone knows PT109.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

DOC Vessel Check

Post by Pitou »

I put 164 in Vessel Doc Check and quite a few barges came up. I did it for a few 3 digit sequences and all were commercial vessels / barges, freighters, commercial fishing , etc. Most recreational and small commercial vessels have a story behind them and I like your idea spelled out "One Six Four", but I would check with the Coast Guard first.
http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
TonyAmalfitano

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds like there might be a monkey in the wrench.

This is exactly why I asked this question, there is knowledge here!
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I did learn one thing about Coast Guard Boats. They are not documented nor are the registered. I guess they don't have to be. A goup of us bought our UTB after I retired and we resold her.....first snag was no bill of sale, second snag, she'd never been registered nor documented. We had quite a time getting it documented for the buyers.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
TonyAmalfitano

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

Take a look at the next U.S. Post Office truck that drives by, no license plates. When you are the government you can get away without doing the things the government tells the rest of us to do. (unless you are a Police Officer, we always get screwed)
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

Re "One Six Four" as a boat name: while this is not a legal response, it may be quite okay these days with DSC a common way to send a distress signal. With the MMSI inclusion in the distress call, the description of your boat will be broadcast, thus making it unlikely that responders will be looking for a CG vessel or a destroyer.
Fair Tide

Return to “General Discussion”