• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 4JH-DTE engine questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Yanmar 4JH-DTE engine questions

Post by 11kolive »

Hello,

I am looking at an A-27 with a Yanmar 4JH-DTE engine with less than 1000 hours on it. I am not familiar with Yanmars at all and wonder if anyone has this engine and can give me some feedback on the engine. It is 77hp. Wondering about its reliability, durability, sound levels, parts availability and maintainence levels compared to other engines. They seem to be high rpm levels and I wonder if that also translates to higher sound levels vibrations.

Keith Olive
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: Yanmar 4JH-DTE engine questions

Post by rcwhite »

I refreshed a couple of 4JH2 engines, which are basically the same with
a bit more output, a while back and would consider them to be pretty solid.
One engine had broken pistons due to hydraulic lock earlier in the season
and was still running albeit pushing quite a bit of oil. A call to a local Yanmar
dealer should confirm parts availabilty but I had no trouble getting anything I
needed to put them back together.

They do prefer higher RPMs but this doesn't seem to impact durability.
packham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: 100 Mile House, BC

Post by packham »

I have the 4JH-DTE in my 27FC and I love the engine. Cruising at 7.5 mph I burn 3 litres/hr (less than 1 US gallon/hr). I run the engine at 2200 rpm and ramp it up to 2800 rpm for 10 min every time I start her or every 4 hours. Running the engine above 2200 rpm does not improve speed that much and is a lot louder. I have not had a problem with vibration. Part availability is not a problem...for routine maintenance such as impellers I buy through Bay Shore Marine in Annapolis, MD even though I live in Canada. If you mention the 4JH-DTE to those who know boats they will advise it is a great engine...certainly my experience.
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Post by 11kolive »

Rcwhite and Packham,

Thank you for this feedback. Yanmars are new to me and this helps a lot in my decision making. I appreciate the speed data as well. We are downsizing from our Grand Banks 36 and are not wanting a 6 knot vessel. Our desired range is from 7 to 9 when needed.

So it seems like we are looking for a later model 27 with a larger engine. So far, a bit tough to find, but we have time and patience.

Thanks for the replies!

Keith

Return to “Albin Maintenance”