• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaking Porthole Gaskets

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

hmitchel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Leaking Porthole Gaskets

Post by hmitchel »

Greetings from California. I'm a new owner (2004 TE) and new to the Group. I've noticed that the gaskets around the portholes leak in the rain, in a good sea and during a wash down. Does anyone know the brand of the portholes or where replacement gaskets may be obtained? Other than this, the boat is terrific and dry! Out in five foot seas last week.
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Leaking Porthole Gaskets

Post by sharffj »

Leaks may be due to the seam and screws holes under the rub rails. Many of the 31 TEs had this problem. Do a search for leaks and rub rails.
Jeff S
hmitchel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Post by hmitchel »

Thanks. Leaks are from portholes.
poillon1

Post by poillon1 »

We replaced the gasgets and still had leak problem. Then replaced all the portholes as they were scratched anyhow. I think gasgets were standard size from West Marine. The leak stopped. We too had suspected rub rail and had sealed the screws from the interior as a first step. We also check and reseal under the rub rail annually.
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Post by Mike Loper »

hmitchel: I noticed your 2011 post and was wondering if you had corrected your problem. I too have leaking SS portholes and was wondering:
1. If you had found the problem and corrected it?
2. If you had determined the manufacturer of the portholes?
3. What you did to correct the problem?
The current rain here in Southern California has made me realize that I need to address this problem on our 28TE. Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else who can help. Thanks.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The stainless steel portlghts are made by Bomar. Here is a link to the site. I replaced one of mine earlier this year because it had a failed weld that kept the gasket from sealing. Attached is a picture.

http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/0/A1 ... 65D72?Open
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Loper »

Great, thanks Russ. I appreciate the quick response. I'm heading down to the boat in a few minutes to wipe up the mess. It makes sense they're Bomar as the deck hatch is also. I unfortunately assumed they were Perko and when I went to the website, I hit a dead end. By the way, I also have the same boat, year, and power plant: Hull 876. Flagship Blue, Grey and White.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike Loper »

As a follow-up to my question earlier this week. I removed and replaced all 6 SS Portlights in our 28TE over the past 2 days. As Russ mentioned to me, the Portlights are made by Bomar. Specifically, our boat has Part Number H6552-02. I removed each, cleaned the old weather-stripping off the sealing edge, and reinstalled using BoatLife caulking (white). It was an easy job. Both of the forward Portlights, however, need to be pulled into shape to fit the slight curvature of the cabin side. The other 4 are straight and all it takes is a clean surface and enough calking to squeeze out of the edge a little. Cleanup is easy using a small amount of paint thinner on a rag, and then a final wipe down with a wet rag. I don't know yet if the Portlights are leak free, but I'm certain it's much better than the thin weather-stripping the factory installed. The next wash down or rain will be the proof.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

Mike Loper,

Just wondering if the replacements fixed the problem. My port side middle port light leaks and I was hoping it was just a gasket. Thinking it needs to be removed and replaced. Just wondering how you made out...
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

The stainless steel Bomar portlights can leak either at the gasket under the flange where it seals against the cabin wall or through the gasket inside the portlight between the lens and the frame. You can put a small piece of paper towel inside the frame and see if it gets wet. If water comes in around the frame the paper towel will stay dry. It is easy to remove the portlight and reseal with caulk as Mike did.
As you can see in my post above, I had to replace one of the portlights when the weld failed. After the replacement arrived I noticed that the inside gasket was much softer than the ones in my old portlights and decided to replace it in all of them. Pompanette sells the gasket material at $6 per foot. It has sealant on the back side covered by a protective strip. This makes it easy to cut it to the correct length and fit it in the groove. When you have the exact fit, remove the protective strip a few inches at a time while pushing the gasket into the groove. I started at the top of the portlight and at the final section I put a few drops of Krazy Glue on the end to seal it into a closed loop. This stopped another leak but I was glad to replace the old hard gaskets in all of them. Now I don't have to dog down so hard on them to seal.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
recppd
First Mate
First Mate

Post by recppd »

Ya, I have my leaking port light as tight as it can get, and still get a puddle of water on the shelf below. If I remember correctly, I went around the boat after I bought it tightening down a million loose screws and bolts. I remember tightening one of the port light screws and hearing a very loud "pop". I'm thinking I might have popped a weld on that leaking portlight, because I can't remember it leaking before.... Guess I need to look at a replacement. It is a Bomar H6552-02 as stated above correct? I have a 2004 28TE Flush Deck. Thanks...
Rob C.
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Rob
I suspect that I did the same thing trying to stop leaks although I do not recall a pop. The outside gasket seals pretty well and excessive tightening of the screws is not needed. After seeing the new inside gasket I realized that the old hard gaskets were the source of the leak all along. They probably should be replaced as part of preventive maintenance, especially in the south where sun and heat takes its toll.
Sorry I cannot check the model number, I am still in Pennsylvania for the summer and all my boat documents are in Florida. If you measure yours it is easy to pick the correct one.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
recppd
First Mate
First Mate

Post by recppd »

Thanks Russell. My port light gaskets are actually pretty soft, but compressed from their original state. I think I may have over tightened a screw and popped a rivet afterall. I'll put it on the Spring project list, I just wanted to make sure I ordered the correct thickness Bomar port light to do the replacement...
Rob C.
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”