• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How many 35 TE's were built?

Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cambridge

How many 35 TE's were built?

Post by Yanni »

Does anyone know how many 35 TE's were built with no flybridge? I've posted in the new members section that I am interested in buying one. There doesn't seem to be many with single 450 Cummins.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: How many 35 TE's were built?

Post by DougSea »

Yanni wrote:Does anyone know how many 35 TE's were built with no flybridge? I've posted in the new members section that I am interested in buying one. There doesn't seem to be many with single 450 Cummins.
Mine, with a flybridge, is number 156. As a 2006 boat she's from close to the end of the Albin run.

If you figure, just as a guess, that half were FB boats then you'd have 75-80 non flybridge boats. I'd split that in half again for singles, so that would be 35-40.

But again, that's just an educated guess.

Not a lot regardless. You have your work cut out for you! Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Just did a search. First one to come up is a TE single.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Al ... 6PsdpD3aK0

And so is the second one (with a Yanmar)

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/Al ... 6PtAZD3aK0
Doug
Sonny IV
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

Thanks Doug
And I guess that number would have to be cut in half again to 17 for a 450 Cummins.
I have seen those boats and was told they have been on the market a while. Judging by the response I got from the broker on the Cummins equiped one (No Response), I can see why they are sitting.
I will keep checking this forum and asking around.
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I think you're in a " beggars can't be choosers" situation. Given the limited availability I'd start hounding the broker. Call the office and ask for the manager/owner (of the brokerage).

Any reason not to look at the Yanmar? Pretty sure David on Winedown has that set up and is happy with it.

One thing to note is that the Cummins boat is galley up with the second stateroom, the Yanmar is galley down. (Yet another variable in your calculation!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
chic belmont
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: rock hall md

Post by chic belmont »

Yani,pm me or call 2153531432 on sale of 2004 albin 35 TE galley down no fly bridge thanks Chic Belmont
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

DougSea wrote:I think you're in a " beggars can't be choosers" situation. Given the limited availability I'd start hounding the broker. Call the office and ask for the manager/owner (of the brokerage).

Any reason not to look at the Yanmar? Pretty sure David on Winedown has that set up and is happy with it.

One thing to note is that the Cummins boat is galley up with the second stateroom, the Yanmar is galley down. (Yet another variable in your calculation!!)
I am hoping that "Good things come to those that wait" (and do their research).
I am not in a hurry for a second boat. I have a 21' Dixie WA that will keep regardless of what my next boat is. I have her in pristine condition and is a great boat for local stuff.
My sailboat had a yanmar 15hp engine that was great! I think the Yanmars are good engines but my understanding is that the bigger yanmars have a timing belt that has to be replaced every 1000 hrs....
higher revving than the Cummins....
some had recalls for the valve seals.....(315hp 6lpa-stp).....
lots of aluminum and other dissimilar metals.....
and in general I get the impression that the Cummins is the preferred engine in that class.

After going on this boat...viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9042
on this forum after it was moved to Maryland, my choice is the galley down version. The fact that you can climb down and get to both sides of the engine easily is a selling point. One of the questions I have for the broker is engine access on the galley up boat. From what I see it is limited. I do my own work and am too old to be doing "Engine Yoga".
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

All good points.

I will say that I don't believe there is any difference in engine access on a galley up vs. galley down boat. (Huge difference on twin vs. single!) Probably worth getting aboard one to check it out.

That said, I'd be more inclined to go galley down if I felt I wouldn't have kids/guests aboard. Really just for the interior space. We like it on ours, but because we're a single station boat (no lower helm) our salon is reasonably spacious. And it's nice to have when our daughter or occasional guest joins us aboard.
Doug
Sonny IV
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im exactly the opposite - if I were getting a 35te (I would likely take a 32+2 over it but you never know) I would go galley up. even if you don't use the spare room for people its a great storage area, and could easily be converted to hold things like ice makers, additional cold storage, etc etc etc. I don't really thing you lose that much space on the main deck with the galley up version. Now im basing this all off my experience with a single 35te that ive been one (now owned by one of our other members).
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

Yes That is why I ruled out any twins....engine access...unprotected prop...double the cost...and on a long trip for me, not worth the extra 2 knots.
Hopefully I will get to see a galley up version as well. I do like that there is more storage and engine access through bulkhead in the bunk room. And hope to bring crew for journey down IC at some point. The bigger galley down below and more space above is enticing too. As long as the bunk above is large enough for adult. Does your daughter sleep in the convertible settee?
Well it all depends on what comes available I suppose.
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

I originally started looking at 32+2, and 34 CB. I will be singlehanded and don't like the idea of running up and down when docking and rolling in bad weather if only one station up top. I've always run into bad weather at some point when on a long trip along the coast. (always on sailboats).
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Incould see the couple of steps being a problem. Have you set foot on a 35? That's a long distance from the helm to the cockpit. I would also consider a Compton 36. It's built by terry Compton who designed the te series. A little more rounded but has some nice features including on many of the a second helm in the cockpit for single hand (would be worth adding to a 32+2 or a 35 honestly). Only issue is I think they were all twin engine with twin skegs.
Yanni
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Yanni »

Yes, I was on Bayard and Gladys's ( AKA Daisy formally FriendShip) new 35 TE here in Cambridge Yacht Club. I agree it is a long distance to helm but better on one level as opposed to 3 steps on CB or 7 on TE w/ flybridge. The only Compton I can see is the 33, and is quite impressive but pricey. Other than the twin engines, (twin skegs very thoughtful for skinny water!) it's a great boat with the dual helm. Its very much like my friends 45 downeast work boat with the aft helm. I like running that boat but is very, very spartan...not even a head!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

You are correct it is the 33, minor slip up. Lol. Yea they are big $$$ but very nice boats with in hull dingy storage and everything!
dmorlo52
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New London, CT

Post by dmorlo52 »

Jeremy

I have the 35TE that Doug spoke of and it is galley up which leaves space for 2 bunks down below across from bathroom and separate shower. I have the Yanmar 6ly2a-stp 440 and it has been very good so far. Had to change exhaust riser to higher elevation due to poor factory design. Corroded original riser (cast iron) and froze up waster gate for turbo. So now have all 316L SS exhaust new exhaust hose and new turbo. We have stayed in boat for up to 10 days and having freezer, icemaker, up to 160 gal of water and 369 gal fuel capacity is awesome. Have diesel genset that is quiet and economical as well. If you have any questions about the 35TE let me know. There are 2 on yachtworld last I looked.

David
winedown

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”