• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auto-Pilot Lesson Learned

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Auto-Pilot Lesson Learned

Post by JackK »

I had an interesting problem on Sunday. While cruising home from fishing, I engaged the auto-pilot. Instead of holding a steady course, the boat flipped into a quick, unexpected turn to port. I turned the unit off and back on (my patented first go at electronic problems).

Now I received a msg ... "Heading Data Shifted". I read the manuals cover to cover and couldn't find anything with this error. I contacted Furuno for tech support. An email arrived a couple of hours later ... "You probably have placed a large metal object near your heading sensor."

Ooops ... I moved my tool kit to the hanger closet next to the head. It was easier to get at there. My heading sensor is mounted on the outside wall of that closet (under the flip up seat cushion). Live and learn.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

turn to port

Post by Pitou »

GHOSTS ! Similar to your situation Jack, I had to move my heavy metal tuna casting bag when I put that on top of my sensor. My heading sensor is beneath the forward cushion of the 1/4 berth next to the microwave. When running the microwave off the inverter or genset when underway and the auto-pilot is on a hard turn to port occurs and straightens out when the microwave shuts down. Nothing like MAGNETIC NORTH !
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Closet

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I had the same thing happen as you Jack. I removed my stove and put it in the same closet. Removed the stove and it ran just fine.
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL

Return to “General Discussion”