• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 Research Project

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Albin 27 Research Project

Post by JT48348 »

This is the Albin 27 Research thread, where I will post information on the history and background of the Albin 27. There's been a alot of questions about the design and production history of the Albin 27, so I thought I'd poke around see what I could uncover.

I've had some luck before looking into the past of various boats. I guess I fancy myself a "Boat Detective." Most recently I had two articles printed in Small Craft Advisor Magazine (issues Nov/Dec 2015 #96 and May/June 2016 #99) featuring an unsual 22foot sailboat I found in a barn. I later determined it was designed by an an olympic sailor and even sailed across the Atlantic by an intrepid school teacher.

In April 2016, I was able to make contact with Joe Puccia, the original designer and builder of the first Albin 27s. Today, Joe Puccia is 85 years old and still going strong. He was generous enough with his time to spend about an hour on the phone with me while I interviewed him about his background and how the Albin 27 came to be. Joe was also gracious enough to give me a treaure trove of original Albin 27 documents, to include: an original A27 sales brochure, line drawings of interior/exterior of the A27, a never before seen magazine review used as advertising for the boat, and approximately 24 original photographs of the very first Albin 27s built and the hull layup. These have been posted to the document section so they can be enjoyed by current and future owners in order to preserve the legacy of the Albin 27. I don't know about you, but having the back story and pedigree of your favorite boat is priceless and frankly down right fascinating. Many thanks to Joe Puccia.

To see the documents go to the A25/A27 section in the Document Library.

Joe put me onto several leads for other people associated with the Albin 27, most notabley Fred Peters, the owner of Albin Marine USA. Fred Peters commissioned Joe Puccia to desgin the A27 from the popular Albin 25. But alas, Fred died in January 2016 before I was able to make contact. I have made contact with Peters' widow and daughter, and future installements of the research project will likely prove just as fruitfull. Please be patient. Its difficult to locate missing documents, track down eye witnesses, and jog people's memories especially when their loss is more than the novelty of a well loved boat. Many more interviews are in the works.

If you have a lead on the Albin 27 backstory, or you once met someone involved in the design, building, sales or production of the Albin 27, please contcat me via pm and I will follow all leads accordingly.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Albin 27 Reserach Project

Post by Jay Knoll »

Great job Joe, thanks so much.
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Re: Albin 27 Research Project

Post by changer »

Joe, well done. I am certain all A27 owners appreciate your work and sentiment about knowing about their boat's history.Thank you.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Thank you for your service x2. A Marine and a Marine Archivist... Joe, that has gotta be a first.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

What a great project, these have got to be one of the best boats afloat, thanks JT.
moses2015
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Deka Lake

Post by moses2015 »

WHERE DO I FIND THE HULL NUMBER??
have the albin 27 with 4D61,really great boat! just need to learn more about them!!

Thanks Herman (sweetwaterII),bc canada
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

So was the photo of #1. In preparation for going to the Jan 1983 New York boat show?
Notice the white rub rail!
I think the owner of #1 , or the boat attire New York show still owned it and is on this forum.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

Wonderful research! You really pulled together bits and pieces in years of posts on this forum and added much more. Thanks so very much for all your efforts! Wonderful reading........
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

moses2015 wrote:WHERE DO I FIND THE HULL NUMBER??
On the starboard side of the transom cast into the gel coat just under the rub rail

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Darrach
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by Darrach »

What a find! I have just been entrusted with ownership of Steadfast from Don from Mystic- a great craft from a
real caring man!
Darrach
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

You may know that tranmkp was a very knowledgeable and frequent contributor who I believe returned to sailing. I know he also spoke with Joe P several times regarding the 27's history sharing bits and pieces on the board and through P/M. He has not visited the site in a while. JT you may wish to P/M him to compare notes. It is my understanding the layup of the first boats was a bit more robust. I believed my former 83 (which has a new and deserving owner see above post) to be one of them. I do feel the early boats had some components hand fabricated vs off the shelf, the rudder assembly, post, bushing and arm being some of them and the wood in the cabin a bit more elaborate thus more expensive. Perhaps they were tweaking the design or just had not found suppliers.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”