• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mid Bilge GPH?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Mid Bilge GPH?

Post by SJR »

I just put a new Mid Bilge pump in , and was working fine, at least i though so. after returning home for a few days after a 9 day boat trip, the mid bilge is not forcing the water out, took the motor out disconnected the hose and its pushing water however not enough to get over the high part of the U shaped hose vent. I hooked up a water hose and blew it out to make sure it wasn't clogged, hooked up a sump pump to the out flow hose and that worked. I have a 1000 gph pump thats brand new in the mid. Can anyone tell me if thats not enough power? I checked hose clamps, its got power, I was thinking it may be a suction issue? Spent all day taping, disconnecting , reconnecting ... and nothing. the original pump i believe was a 1000 gph.
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Mid Bilge GPH?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Is this a remote bilge pump (suction and discharge hoses) or a regular pump? How much water is in the bilge? What size and type of hose is on the pump? Sounds like either the pump is not running 100%, simply not enough water there, or a leak in the suction hose (if so equipped). I added a low profile 900gph pump between the helm seats and it has no issue getting the water out, it was added because of the location of the factory remote pump allowed water to remain in the bilge. I had the same problem with my front pump allowing water to remain in the bilge...I realized that the hose that was there was longer than it needed to be so I shortened it and that helped.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Check the voltage at the pump and at the battery with it running both on manual and automatic. It should read only slightly below (a few tenths of a volt) the voltage at the battery.
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Post by SJR »

thanks Guys, @Jeremyvmd , the bilge pump is the Mid-Bilge that is right next to the helm, just forward between the 2 engines. I installed a 500gph in the spring, worked fine. I went to check the bilge after some torrential downpours and had a good amount of water, enough that it engaged the float switch, it was running the pump however not pumping out. I then installed a new 1000gph and getting the same result running but not pumping out. I ran a water hose to the out flow hose and saw no leaks and the fresh water pour out the outlet ( so not clogged)

I disconnected the hose at the pump and its pushing water, but when reconnected to the outflow hose it just stalls.... cannot figure it out..... I thinking its a suction issue (letting air in somewhere), but everything is tight. I then put a portable sump pump connected that to the outflow hose and it pumped out....
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What kind of pump is it?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

bilge pump

Post by Pedro »

And I thought I was the only one,!, lol,
My mid bilge 1500 rule automatic, seems to get air bound by f I override it it all the time to get that last little bit of wAter out, it seems to do its job fine when the water rises enough to not have any air,

Return to “Albin Maintenance”