• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaning to starboard

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

scottmagdalein
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Jacksonville

Leaning to starboard

Post by scottmagdalein »

Short story: my boat leans to starboard at all times. We thought it might be our starboard fuel tank being much fuller than the port tank. It's hard for me to tell exactly because the way our gauge reads it only tells me total for both tanks. Plus, we had about 30 gallons leak from the starboard when we overfilled her last month on that side. So I'm skeptical that the fuel tank is the culprit. However, I'm open to digging if you guys know a good way to tell the different in the two.

43' 1979 double cabin trawler,

Any/all help greatly appreciated!
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Leaning to starboard

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome to the form. Many twin tank set ups used a toggle switch to go from one tank to the other, if yours not so equipped would be a good upgrade. I've gotta ask, were did the 30 gallons of fuel that leaked out go? That must have been a real attention getter. Thanks, Mark.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You should have a small diameter fuel line between the two tanks to keep them level. But there is a valve to shut that off.
Make sure the valve is open and put some extra weight or sit on the high side for a couple of hours and that should level the tanks if that's the problem.
If that's not the problem, then it's loading and you'll have to figure that out and solve it yourself. Maybe move tools, batteries, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Also check what the PO installed. I have a generator installed in place of the now relocated holding tank. The more weight that's been added, the further away from centerline, without counterbalancing the more likely you are to get list. Start with the obvious assumption that it didn't list coming out of factory, what was added after the fact. When I realized problem, I'm had to add lead weight on opposite side to bring it back into true.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
POPPA-T
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Larose, Louisiana

Post by POPPA-T »

I have the same problem on my 40 dbl cabin. I have to keep the starb. tank 1/4 less then the port to stay level. I have 3 of the 4 batt's on the starb. side and both bath rooms on starb. side and both steering stations on starb. side. Maybe if I moved batt's to the port side it may help.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”