• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

timing belt

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

costas
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: westhampton marina

timing belt

Post by costas »

I am looking to replace the timing belt on my yanmar 6lpa-stp anyone with cross reference part# to Gates?
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Re: timing belt

Post by abellch »

Gates 5474XS or Dayco 94831 it is a 105/25 belt. I had no luck finding these locally.
costas
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: westhampton marina

Post by costas »

thank you
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I decided to have the timing belt, idler belt, tensioner, vales adjusted and the alternator belts replaced. Although, I had only 450 hours on the engine and it was 7 years old, I felt it was time for a little PM. Total cost was $2200.00. The timing belt replacement was only $1500 and the balance was the valve adjustment. I had the valves adjusted when I first purchased the boat. However, the "mechanic" stuck a feeler guage onto 3 lifters and said he was done. I finally hit 3805 rpms. I could never break 3800. I figure I am good for another 7 years, and by then boating will be a dream.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

Glad it worked out for you. The timing belt was not a difficult job but Yanmar sure is proud of their parts.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Abellch, you could be absolutely correct about the belt not being a "difficult" job. However, as Dirty Harry once said " a man has to know his limitations" The majority of the coat was labor and the parts were Toyota.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”