• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31TE - single- Battery Switch Wiring Diagram

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

31TE - single- Battery Switch Wiring Diagram

Post by Steam Flyer »

We recently (month+ ago) bought an Albin 31TE single engine. Fortunately, the Previous Owner saved a bunch of tech manuals for the engine and most of the installed major equipment. But there is no wiring diagram for the boat, and I've been informed (??) that none of these boats had wiring diagrams from the factory. So we have to play Electricity Detective (a fun game for the whole family).

This is pretty basic, but chasing the leads, sometimes disconnecting at each end to double-check continuity, here is what I have figured out.

Albin31 diagram09 battery switches.jpg
THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOUR ALBIN 31TE IS WIRED LIKE THIS but it may help figure out why the switch positions don't make any sense.

Now I have to figure out if/how the genset blower works.

- Doug
'Sugar Magnolia' Albin 31TE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
windward
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg Nova Scotia

Re: 31TE - single- Battery Switch Wiring Diagram

Post by windward »

So I am a recent owner of a single engine 31TE. Yanmar 440 2002

I figured out aft switch was Engine and the forward the house. I have been using Engine on position 1 thinking battery #1 and house on position 2 thinking battery#2

I have solar panels connected to battery#2 and leave house on position 2 with a fridge keeping my beer cold.

Your diagram confuses me! It makes me think I am wrong in my thinking.

Also I wonder if the engine charges both batteries if it is on position 1?

Do you use ALL positions for either engine or house?

How does the jumper function in your diagram?

Anything you can clarify would be appreciated.
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate

Post by Steam Flyer »

windward wrote:So I am a recent owner of a single engine 31TE. Yanmar 440 2002

I figured out aft switch was Engine and the forward the house. I have been using Engine on position 1 thinking battery #1 and house on position 2 thinking battery#2

I have solar panels connected to battery#2 and leave house on position 2 with a fridge keeping my beer cold.

Your diagram confuses me! It makes me think I am wrong in my thinking.

Also I wonder if the engine charges both batteries if it is on position 1?

Do you use ALL positions for either engine or house?

How does the jumper function in your diagram?

Anything you can clarify would be appreciated.
In our boat, the batteries are isolated from each other if the switches are set to #1 and #1. This makes no sense to me whatever, but that's the way it is. If you look at the diagram, you'll see each battery is connected to the #1 position. In our boat, the aft switch is wired to the start battery at #1 and the starter thru the back of the switch (ie switch output, if you like that term better).

The "jumper" connects both switches at #2. So, if you set both switches to #2, you get nothing. They are connected to each other but not to any battery. This makes sense, yeah right?? :shock:

The way to "cross connect" the house battery to starter is to set the fwd switch to 'all' and the aft switch to #2

I don't know why anybody would ever connect the start battery to house, but you could do so by setting the aft switch to 'all' and the fwd switch to #2.

In our boat, the output of the alternator is wired to the starter. It -ONLY- charges the start battery unless you put both switches to 'all' while underway, which I strongly dislike. One way around this is to install a battery combiner which has it's own compromises. Haven't taken any steps on this issue myself yet.

Try out your switches and see if they work the same way. It took me most of a day of disconnecting & reconnecting batteries, and physically tracing wires, to figure this out. Because it MAKES NO G##%&^# SENSE!!! But it works once you know.

Hope this helps.

Doug K
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate

Post by Steam Flyer »

Forgot to add- it sounds like your batteries are wired to #1 and #2, not both to #1. This makes more sense but I strongly recommend making sure. Also double check that the switches are make-before-break so you don't blow up your alternator.

- Doug
'Sugar Magnolia' Albin 31TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”