• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air conditioning raw water circulation pump won't start

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Air conditioning raw water circulation pump won't start

Post by amber jj »

I replaced our 16k marine air air conditioner and thermostat with a Webasto fcf16000 in February while on the hard. Pretty much a nobrainer wiring and duct work was already there. I just had to run wire for the new thermostat and reinstall wiring from the panel and raw water pump.
When we launched the first of June and tried the air the raw water pump would not start. I took the hot wire from the pump and jumped it to the hot terminal on the circuit board. The pump worked instantly.
When I turn the unit on at the thermostat the fan starts up and after 30 seconds or so the twenty amp breaker kicks out. I don't know if it's the compressor kicking in or not.
I am sure my wiring is correct. I think there may be a problem in the circuit board or a relay switch.
I will call Webasto Monday. I tried techwebsto and got a invalid address message.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Bob
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Air conditioning raw water circulation pump won't start

Post by catalina_mike »

Is it something you have to program in the display? Not sure of that unit.. Just throwing it out there. Is there a jumper that has to be installed on the board?
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

I checked and double checked the installation instructions and didn't see anything like that.The old marine air when you turned it on the pump started right away.I am assuming most units do the same.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Actualy several manufactures can have a single pump for multiple ac units. They need to be configured in some cases. But it should be in the manual so if it's not that way on yours not sure.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

amber jj wrote: When we launched the first of June and tried the air the raw water pump would not start. I took the hot wire from the pump and jumped it to the hot terminal on the circuit board. The pump worked instantly.
When I turn the unit on at the thermostat the fan starts up and after 30 seconds or so the twenty amp breaker kicks out. I don't know if it's the compressor kicking in or not.
Just a thought ... When you jumped the pump to hot, did you confirm that you were pumping raw water throughout the air conditioning system and out the thru hull? If not you need to break the line coming into the pump and prime the system from your raw water intake.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Similar situation. I thought the pump wasn't running when in fact, it was running, but running almost silently dry. 20 seconds, kicks off. We've had to bleed the pump before it would kick in and push water. It only runs when the system needs to be cooled down. After I bleed the pump, life is good and the air is chilled.

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE Box, Gen & AC
www.CapeHarbour.com
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

When I did jump the hot wire from the pump I did a visual check and it was pump raw water.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by amber jj »

I just called Webasto tech and they said first of all check the fuse on the circuit board,if blows again I may need a 120v.20amp. relay switch.He suggested may just be drawing to much current.
Now I have to wait to the weekend or take the 120 mile drive to try the fuse.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”