• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hot water heater?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Hot water heater?

Post by DCatSea »

Yet another stupid "where is it" question. (I'm learning fast tho')

Pretty much worked through the Chief's winter list, but have just one question about flushing the potable water system:

Can anyone point me in the general direction of the hot water tank on a 27FC?

Haven't actually used hot water onboard this year, but intend bathing in 2016 (must be the diesel submariner in me) , so eternal gratitude will be offered if I can locate the hot water.

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Re: Hot water heater?

Post by Marcy K »

I hate to tell you this - but not all A 27s had hot water heaters. Our 1985 A 27 Willet did not. We could enjoy a small amount when arriving at a destination from heating by the engine but it was gone in a flash. Our sun showers gave us hot bathing water and we heated an extra pot of water to do dishes. You can install one Good Luck.

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Falmouth, MA
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Marcy, I had my suspicions that this might be the case, but having found the location of the for'd bilge pump by asking on AOG, I thought I should do the same with the WH. I believe that the Sun may provide the ultimate answer to our hot water situation.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Mine is on the starboard side, outboard of the engine, right next to the holding tank
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I have a 28TE and the hot water tank is on the stbd side. However, if you have two faucet knobs one for cold, the other would be for hot. I would think you have a hot water heater. If you have only one, the you have no hot water heater. I would follow the water lines off of your deck fill to find the hot water heater. Another thought would be your hot water maybe coming off the engine while running. last thought, if you have an ac panel, do you have a breaker for the hot water heater?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We had 2 knobs in the galley sink and head. However, cold water came out when the cold knob was twisted and water would leak into the bilge from the second line that was not connected to anything - just hanging in the bilge in front of the engine (a Westerbeke 100). We had to tell guests not to turn on the hot water knob! We had 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries and a 28 gallon holding tank. The water tank was 40 gallons and there really was no room for a water heater. Hope this helps.

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cummins 210 turbo
Falmouth, MA
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

If you have the 10 gal. holding tank, then you probably have (or had ) a hot water heater. If you have a larger holding tank, then there wouldn't be room for a HW tank in the traditional location outboard of the engine on the starboard side. Gotta be careful tho, some of the PO's did some weird things in these boats. The only way to be sure is to trace the plumbing. Good luck, Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks to all who answered. I have followed the plumbing as much as possible (Thanks POs), and couldn't trace any heat. Also, there is only a single faucet in the galley and head, so I think it's safe to say there ain't one (yet).
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

One advantage of a larger Albin is that generally things are easier to find.

We had a water heater which may have been OEM, but it gave up on us. Can't complain as we have an '86 model. Since we want HW in the galley and 2 heads (including shower) a replacement was necessary.

The original was a 12g model so after looking at several and having a fantastic experience with Raritan on our Electra-scan I chose a 20g replacement which also has a heat exchange option from Raritan.

Changed it out myself and it was a remove one and pop in the new (for the most part the exchanger connections were a little different but a trip to Auto Parts for hose, high pressure type, and Lowes for fittings the job was completed).

Can't say enough good about Raritan and their products.

The water heater while we run is heated by the engine and even when at dock using shore power the unit heats up quickly and holds heat longer than I think it should. They make a unit as small as 6g.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
moses2015
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Deka Lake

Post by moses2015 »

I have the 6 gal model! works great! but really hot when engine as been running for a couple of hrs!!so be careful!!!
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

My PO installed a "on demand" European style heater. I did the same exercise you did. PO's receipt storage showed "Hot Water Heater" installed. I traced lines, crawled around everywhere and finally saw this: it in fact is the HW heater! Tried it out the other day. I get enough for a "navy shower" and hot water out of the sinks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Oops, here's a better shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

www.eemax.com
Model No. EX4212M
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Albin Maintenance”