• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel in bilge after topping off

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

scottymags
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: North Florida

Fuel in bilge after topping off

Post by scottymags »

Just bought a 1979 Albin 43 with a single 120 Lehman and 2x200 gallon fuel tanks. Bringing it home was a 4 hour journey. At about 3.5 hours in, we stopped to top off the tanks and then continued home for 30 minutes. While topping off the tanks, the guy responsible for the starboard tank (my FIL) got distracted talking to the dock master and the vent started spouting diesel. Not sure how long that was happening. Cleaned up after ourselves, apologized to the dock master, and left. Weather was calm and we ran it at about 1600rpm the rest of the way home thinking nothing of it.

While we were docking, which admittedly took a couple tries, I noticed purple diesel fuel in the water. We tied her up in the slip and checked the bilge...full of diesel.

Over the next 24 hours, we emptied the bilge into a barrel...about 30 gallons of diesel came out of the bilge. We narrowed it down to the starboard tank, which was overfilled by my FIL...bless his chatty heart.

The leak was seeping slowly down the interior wall of the bilge, but we can't identify the leak source. Could be the overflow valve or maybe a leak at the top of the tank. Previous owner says she never filled the tanks fully and that she's never had a fuel leak. The bilge was spotless and odor-free when we bought her...and even after a 30-minute sea trial and survey nothing was caught nor was there diesel in the bilge.

Any clues that might point us in the right direction? Please?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Fuel in bilge after topping off

Post by kerrye »

First thing I'd check is where the fill and vent hoses attach to the tank.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Level sender also..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

catalina_mike wrote:Level sender also..
Yes this got me once on my "ex" boat and I saw another boat leak this way also.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

While doing the loop last year we also discovered fuel in the bilge. It turns out the vent hoses had rotted near the tank connection and have to be replaced. My guess is the hoses are both old and probably not meant for fuel. Our solution was to make sure we did not completely fill the tanks (we have sight tubes on both tanks) and never had a problem after that.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”