• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27- Bow Thruster

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: A27- Bow Thruster

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I watched a bunch of vids and did some reading last night (insomnia + boredom = finding the end of the Internet) and I've seen jigsaws, monster hole saws (crazy looking things) and routers used to cut the hole after marking it.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Me too! The giant two foot hole saw appears to be a custom contraption you have to have made and costs $$$. That would be an awesome addition to my tool chest.

Seems like a great item to rent...if only
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hers some photos to throw in the mix.
The build up in front of the tube is deliberate and it there for hydrodynamic reasons.
They did a good job of getting the tube very low in the hull( lower than dons)
The inside is of course without the motor but you can see the extensive wiring etc involved.
My install has a seperate battery, just Fwd, of the thruster. I assume its a good idea , low line losses etc.
They used full size battery cable to feed charging to the battery, maybe overkill .
I think a $30 sawzall from harbor ft could do the whole job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

My install has a seperate battery, just Fwd, of the thruster. I assume its a good idea , low line losses etc.
They used full size battery cable to feed charging to the battery, maybe overkill .

Sounds like they knew what they were doing; I was in a marine electric wiring class years ago when a "I know it all type" in the audience pontificated that the instructor was full of it because he recommended full size cabling running to the forward battery which was, in this instance, powering a windlass. He insisted that some "good heavy wire" would be suffice because you would only be trickle charging the battery and the current flow wouldn't be great.

The instructor patiently described the situation where a low state of charge in the battery, coupled with a heavy draw would mean that the alternator would be putting out its max potential overloading the circuit and potentially causing a fire. The know it all wasn't convinced, I wonder if his boat is still floating.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Thanks Jay
That makes me feel good about the install.( I did like the install already just a little annoyed by the rusted steel parts in the motors!)
I did also wonder if back feeding from the thruster battery to start the engine in emergency would be possible , this would of course require appropriate wiring.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

The kit comes with excellent instructions

You carefully measure both sides and drill a small hole (1/4 in my case) and use a home made jig to mark the hole

Cut it 1/4 or so smaller than the tube because the angle of the cut will be all wrong and then carefully enlarge the hole with a sanding drum in a drill or a high speed air tool (Harbor Freight $20 in my case). The finished hole needn't match the tube perfectly all around, but take your time & get it as close as you can

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Thanks all for the pics and information. This looks like a project to consider

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”