• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 Flushdeck Vetus BOWTHRUSTER quits after 30 sec. ???

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Alte Liebe
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Punta Gorda Isles, Florida

28 Flushdeck Vetus BOWTHRUSTER quits after 30 sec. ???

Post by Alte Liebe »

Any input greatly appreciated ! Problem: When I activate my bow thruster, it will cut off/quit after 30 seconds. When my battery recharges, it works for 30 sec. then quits again. Thinking its a battery problem (new batteries). Can you tell me if the bow thruster is connected to the large or the small battery ? I have a 2005 Albin 28 Flushdeck with 200 hours
Hank & Maureen Alte Liebe II
2005 Albin 28 Flush Deck
Yanmar 315
Punta Gorda Isles, Florida

Alte Liebe I 1991-2011
1986 Fu Hwa "Seahorse" 35 Europa
Perkins 128
Santa Cruz, California
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Re: 28 Flushdeck Vetus BOWTHRUSTER quits after 30 sec. ???

Post by Pedro »

In my 96 with a Vetus 23kgf, I had somewhat similar issue, after testing it directly at the solenoid we could run it in either direction for 3 minutes ,,we swapped the old controller for a new joystick, problem solved,
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Alte Liebe wrote:Any input greatly appreciated ! Problem: When I activate my bow thruster, it will cut off/quit after 30 seconds. When my battery recharges, it works for 30 sec. then quits again. Thinking its a battery problem (new batteries). Can you tell me if the bow thruster is connected to the large or the small battery ? I have a 2005 Albin 28 Flushdeck with 200 hours
You say the bow thruster works again when the battery recharges. Are you sure that's what's happening? Does the bow thruster have a dedicated battery? Is it possible that the bow thruster is overheating and begins working again when it cools down? It's designed to do that.

Our bow thruster had the same behavior. We had the motor rebuilt. Problem solved.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Take your power connection off at the motor and clean reinstall. A bad connection there could produce your problem.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a similar problem. Taking the brushes out a cleaning them and the slots solved the problem and greatly improved the performance. The brushes contact the armature but particle build up prevents them from sliding smoothly to make good contact. When the motor was run the brushes were pushed back from the armature breaking contact. Waiting a moment allowed them to come back in contact.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Alte Liebe
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Punta Gorda Isles, Florida

Post by Alte Liebe »

Thank you all for your input. All of this helps. I will post a reply when the bow thruster works properly. Hopefully these remedies may help another Albin owner with this problem. BTW, this is a great website. Cheers !
Hank & Maureen Alte Liebe II
2005 Albin 28 Flush Deck
Yanmar 315
Punta Gorda Isles, Florida

Alte Liebe I 1991-2011
1986 Fu Hwa "Seahorse" 35 Europa
Perkins 128
Santa Cruz, California
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

All the advice is realistic. Note that the thruster should only be operated with the engine running due to the high load.

Osprey
Davidsonville, MD
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”