• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel lift pump

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Joe Timney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sassafras River, MD

Fuel lift pump

Post by Joe Timney »

The boat is a 1998 TE 28 with a GM diesel. We have been experiencing a fuel supply issue. The boat has the fuel line fitting coming out of the top of the tank, through a check valve, into a fuel filter. Next to the fuel outlet, there is a circular housing sticking out the the cover...is it a lift pump? If it is, it must be plumbed internally.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Fuel lift pump

Post by kerrye »

Does it have wires coming out of it? Picture?
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

You can remove the check valve. Not required for diesel.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Another thought: You should be able to hear or feel the lift pump running when it is energized. Putting your ear near it or hand on it should answer your question.
Joe Timney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sassafras River, MD

Post by Joe Timney »

After more investigation, I have figured out the circle housing is the original fuel gauge sender unit. Looks like it failed and instead off pulling the tank and replacing it, they just installed a new one and added a deck plate to gain access. Reading up on filtering, Racor recommends installing the filter assembly on the suction side of the fuel pump for optimum water separating efficiency. From all that I have read about the TE28, Albin never used lift pumps. Thanks for the help.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'm not familiar with the TE28 but I do know the 6.5 Chevy diesel. It needs a lift pump of some kind to deliver fuel to the injection pump.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I am not sure about GM diesels but the Cummins and my Volvo have the lift pumps on the engine.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”