• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Silly question about Yanmar 315 mixing elbow

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Sunshine
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Francisco Bay

Silly question about Yanmar 315 mixing elbow

Post by Sunshine »

The mixing elbow on my 28TE failed but I was able to limp home at idle. My question is, why didn't the bilge fill up from the seawater being pumped in to the heat exchanger?
Thanks,
Chuck
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Silly question about Yanmar 315 mixing elbow

Post by Beta Don »

Welcome to the Albin forum!

Did the failure involve just exhaust gasses or exhaust plus seawater escaping?

If it was leaking water, hopefully your bilge pump was sending it overboard as fast as it was leaking

I had a similar failure on a Yanmar mixing elbow years ago and I plugged the hole with a ball of Marine-Tex epoxy and it held for about 50 engine hours until I got a new elbow installed. It stunk to high heaven while the epoxy cured on the hot manifold, but it held up. To this day my boat never leaves the dock without a Marine-Tex kit aboard. It has come in very handy in all sorts of emergencies

Thankfully my current Yanmar has a bronze mixing elbow. Expensive, but no more rotted out elbows

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sunshine
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks for the comeback. Only exhaust was coming out, but why wasn't water coming as well, that is the mystery. I plan to get a bronze one one now.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Sunshine wrote:Thanks for the comeback. Only exhaust was coming out, but why wasn't water coming as well, that is the mystery. I plan to get a bronze one one now.

If you can find one - let us all know as its not the best of designs.

I suspect your elbow cracked on the turbo flange? This will be why you didn't have water coming into the boat - the water mixes further down the elbow.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Take a look at this old thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5271 The elbow basicaly injects water around the outside wall of the elbow. The water injected around the outside jacket cools the elbow and cools the exhaust to help get things moving. You can see the water jacket passages in one of the photos.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I purchased and installed one of these, and it is the exact replacement. Far cheaper than Yanmars. have had no issues. Mine is the 6LPSTP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... 1505013988
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Sunshine wrote: I plan to get a bronze one now.
Stainless is the only way to go on your replacement.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Cheers for that link Carl. I've messaged the seller to see if he will ship to the UK as Both the other 2 28's here have had failed mixing elbows. Mine should be good for a while as it was replaced just over three years ago but I'd prefer a stainless one.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

For another $25 you can get the polished version. On my flush deck you can't even see it unless you stick your head down in the hatch, so no need for that!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Sunshine
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks all, this helped a lot. I'll try to report back when work is done. Thanks especially for the suggestion on avoiding the bronze part. My manual (2002) suggests replacing elbow every 500 hours, and I'm at 1400.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I don't see an answer to the original question. The OP said there was no water coming out of the exhaust. Was it going into the bilge? If so, wouldn't the bilge pump have been running and the discharge from the bilge hose would have been visible? If there wasn't water with the exhaust and no bilge discharge, isn't the implication that something else was also wrong like a failed impeller?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

kerrye wrote:I don't see an answer to the original question. The OP said there was no water coming out of the exhaust. Was it going into the bilge? If so, wouldn't the bilge pump have been running and the discharge from the bilge hose would have been visible? If there wasn't water with the exhaust and no bilge discharge, isn't the implication that something else was also wrong like a failed impeller?
Mike gave the answer. Third post down, water still goes through the mixing elbow but not in the bilge. These elbows always break off at the flange where it's connected to the turbo, in most cases you'll get a sooty bilge.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Where does the water go? He said there was no water coming out with the exhaust.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Really without seeing it my assuming it's like all the other failures that are common. That being said the hottest most susceptible place is before the water injection. Again everyone's abilities differ but if the motor wasn't hot it has flow more than likely.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The way that this particular mixer elbow is set-up, it is essentially dry. Carrying exhaust gases from the turbo flange through the mixing elbow. The heat exchanger discharges seawater into the elbow which has a secondary inner diameter to the casting that holds the seawater discharge and only mixing with the exhaust gas on the opposite end of the elbow through a "Shower Head" discharging the seawater into the exhaust hose where it then mixes with the exhaust gas. If the flange end failed at the turbo there is no seawater in this location (or at least there shouldn't be) and only exhaust gas and that is where the exhaust gas was escaping. Without photos and the limited description from the OP this is what we all surmise. I hope that helps for an understanding of how the the mixer works.

Here is a picture of the "Shower Head end of the mixing elbow. This is from my Cummins which comes standard in stainless.
20160308_081810.jpg
Here is a link to Tony Athens Sea Board Marine website for a full understanding of marine exhausts. Absolutely worth a thorough read to gain a degree in marine exhaust knowledge. Lots of good general knowledge info on this site even if you don't own a Cummins engine.

http://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”