• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Fishfinder Install

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

New Fishfinder Install

Post by Chris & Dale »

I thought it would be so easy to replace the 15 year old fish finder running the new thru-hull transducer right thru the old fairing block. As usual, it turned into a real project. Biggest lesson learned: Do all your research about transducers and all the requirements for this new technology, fairing blocks, location versus dead rise, BEFORE you buy the unit....not like I did!
I went and bought this great Garmin Echo 551 DV (down view) with the initial intent of just placing the transducer in a bed of epoxy and shooting thru the hull. Ok, then I read that you can't do that with a cored hull and the DV technology. So then I ordered a 20 degree thru hull transducer figuring that would offset the dead rise and we could put in the existing fairing block...wrong again. We had to then move it back beyond mid-ship port side just outside the stringer. Of course this involved another hole in the boat during my spring haul-out. Below are a series of pictures for the hole, exterior view of transducer location, interior view of transducer location, and the finished product on the dash showing I don't have a lot of water under us in our slip. Longer and more expensive than initially expected, but it's in and works wonderful with a great picture.
The Hole.jpg
Overall location.JPG
broad view.jpg
DSCN3074 (588x800).jpg
We are ready to go fishing!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”