• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

HOT - 28 TE midship xducer placement?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

HOT - 28 TE midship xducer placement?

Post by Chris & Dale »

1999 28 TE 300hp yanmar engine box. Bought a Garmin Echo 551DV and 20 degree thru hull transducer. Just hauled out for bottom paint, zincs, etc. and wanted them to install the new xducer in the general area of the old Raymarine DS500X w/xducer that's in a fairing block. This is in the bilge area between the 2 seats, just the other side of the stringer. The marina just called and said that's an approximately 35 degree dead rise and the xducer won't work around there, that the best they could do is all the way in the stern. Is that true? I'm on the hill w/a decision to make quickly, otherwise I finish the maintenance, float it, and pay a haul out fee later.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: HOT - 28 TE midship xducer placement?

Post by Tree »

For what it's worth, I've got a transom mount tranducer on FP2 and it works just as well as the midship transducer. Both don't really see any decent reading over 13 knots though.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Mine is port side about where the keel starts and through the port deck hatch. I also had the raymarine one that has a failed cable.. that is not used.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

From when I installed my transducers a year ago:
1-20150521_145506.jpg
They are midships, just aft of the Alaska bulkhead - about where the keel starts as Mike stated. If I recall correctly, it was about 16 degrees from horizontal or so.

Have never lost bottom at any speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

mine is a about 12" aft of DJ's transducers and to the outside of the stringer (engine box model vs his flush deck)...measured deadrise of 20*...haven't tried it out yet but that's where the original ducer was and it worked great so not expecting issues
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Thanks to all! I knew there'd be a spot where it could go. Will get up w/Marina to discuss this morning.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

A little late to the party on this one, but check out this thread from 2009. A bunch of us were in search of the best placement for the transducer on the 28TE. RobS nailed it. Scroll down to his post and pictures (fairing block transducer). I followed suit with a tilted element (more pictures). This should save a lot of you the trial and error approach: (Read the whole thread)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2305&hilit=transducer
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I have the same boat and engine and had a Garmin installed a few years ago. The original was on the port side and the new one on the starboard. 35 degrees doesn't sound right. Maybe half that. Mine works very well. It came with an angled base so that it shoots straight down. It's located between the two seats aft of the batteries. Good luck.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”