• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Reinstall Pilot House Windows

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Reinstall Pilot House Windows

Post by rnummi »

Can someone walk me through reinstallation step by step.... Mine were out when I bought the boat.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Reinstall Pilot House Windows

Post by kerrye »

Don't know about the 27, but on the 25, you install the rubber gasket, insert the window in to the rubber gasket and then insert the locking strip into the gasket. Lots of Youtube videos showing how to do it. You need a tool to insert the locking strip into the gasket.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks, need instructions for the 27. It looks like you install outer frame then tracks w windows, then inner frame seals all in place?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi rnummi that's where I'm at putting the windows back in. I had to buy new tracks. I'm going to install the frames with 4000 uv and put a little 4000 under the tracks to seal them in. In some thread we talked about drilling the back corner to let the water out. I would try to install the tracks and window glass without caulk first to see how they go in. I can't remember the sequence how they came out to long ago. But as remember it was easy. Good luck now I can ask you questions since you will be ahead of me
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks Chris... I'm done w/ disaster that was lower pilothouse. The only question I have is eluded to several times in the posts which is "check the seal between roof and sides". I had "some" rot in upper pilot house, not nearly as bad as lower pilothouse, but I was scratching my head as to how you get rot "above" drip line. The roof handhelds are out so I'm guessing I had leakage into the unbedded top rails. The moisture/torrent would have sought out the lower edge and rolled into the pilothouse sides.

I had previously posted about pouring into the voids in the sides and having it drip into main cabin. It ultimately sealed. I'm wondering if I should do the same on top. I used syringes from Walmart to shoot a large amount of epoxy. I think I'm going to stopper the interior top handhold holes and shoot some epoxy in the upper holes. If it works the same, it should run down the angle and seal the unseen top of the sides.

Hopefully my description is not disjointed enough to get what I'm going to do.

Oh yeah, the void between top panel of my roof and the bottom panel is hollow. There is no core, just two thick panels glassed all around at edges of the two panels. (Which is why I was always scratching my head when reading about radar masts on 27). Anyway, don't think pouring epoxy could hurt.

Off to the boat!
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

You are ahead of me. I've had to stop work on the boat I'm putting heat in the house right now. Hopefully have it done in a week or two. I'll have to go check the top joint. I would fill it with epoxy if you could. Was it hard to take out the hand rails? I'm putting double hand rails like in a sailboat one outside one inside. My pilot house sides have linoleum on them I'll pull it off to see if I can see the top joint. I'm going to put on new it will look a lot better and I can do it in one piece instead of all the small pieces they have. It has to be done before I install the pilot house windows.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Double rails! What a great idea. Hand rails on my pilothouse roof are through bolted to cockpit. A 2 minute dewalt reverse and they both popped off. I can see where you would just buy new longer bolts and run em through both hand rails. On second thought, I'm 6'2 and the interior holds would be another object to wack me in the head. PO mounted the searchlight directly over helm station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”