• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seeking trailer advice for A27 FC in Alaska

Albin's "power cruisers"
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Glacier Bay

Seeking trailer advice for A27 FC in Alaska

Post by seanneilson »

We have had some major trailer problems since we purchased our 27fc three years ago. Now we are ready to buy a new trailer but after speaking with several sales people, are still a little confused and concerned about a couple of things...

How can we be sure that the trailer will fit perfectly? Or is that expecting too much? Will we need to pull her, then modify or adjust the trailer on the ramp?

We are in Alaska, but most of the trailer manufacturers (at least for Albin's) are in Florida. Can anyone recommend a company on the west coast that can make a trailer for our A27fc?

Are most Albin trailers designed to take the load directly on the keel? Or on bunks just on either side of the keel?

The ramp we use is quite shallow. Is there a design that can help accommodate a shallow ramp?

Many thanks to all of you that contribute to this forum. It is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Seeking trailer advice for A27 FC in Alaska

Post by rnummi »

For what it's worth, mine has the boat resting on its keel with the rails extended to stop topple over. If I was to order one, it would be aluminum, use vertical bunks resting on main trailer frame as opposed to welded posts. Problem w the A27 is it has a keel like a sailboat. Mine is steel/iron with rusted welds all over the place. I'm giving it away to the first person that knows how to weld....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

seanneilson wrote:How can we be sure that the trailer will fit perfectly? Or is that expecting too much? Will we need to pull her, then modify or adjust the trailer on the ramp?
I think even a custom made trailer for your boat will require adjustments to be made to get a good fit. I would count on sitting the boat on the trailer using a Marine Travel-Lift the first time so you can raise and lower it as the adjustments are made
We are in Alaska, but most of the trailer manufacturers (at least for Albin's) are in Florida. Can anyone recommend a company on the west coast that can make a trailer for our A27fc?
A custom aluminum trailer might run you $5K or so and then transportation could easily eat up another grand or two. If I were you, I would seriously consider having one custom made locally. You would likely save some $$$ and you would have support when it comes to getting it to fit correctly. For less than $2K I built my own out of steel and made it a 5th wheel as opposed to a conventional trailer
Are most Albin trailers designed to take the load directly on the keel? Or on bunks just on either side of the keel?
Mine rests 95% of the weight on the keel - The side bunks are just to keep it from tipping over. The hull is not all that strong out where the bunks are
The ramp we use is quite shallow. Is there a design that can help accommodate a shallow ramp?
I made a decision very early on - I was never going to attempt to launch or retrieve the boat with a truck at *any* ramp. It goes on the trailer at a boatyard and it comes off at the same place. Trying to get 10,000 pounds of boat/trailer out of the water at a shallow ramp is going to be VERY difficult . . . . with any truck and any trailer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Sean, I looked at trailers and builders for over a year and came to the conclusion that the best trailer for our boats is built by Loadmaster in Port Clinton, Ohio. Go to their website and you can see a picture of their version. It has gaps in the bunks for travellift straps, is dual HD axles, steel, ss hardware, LED lights, and is easily and fully adjustable. It'll be very close to fitting but you can easily fine tune it yourself on the lift. Ben
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I was on a trailer quest to. I would look at a low boy construction trailer. The longest you can find and the lowest with drop axels. Set the keel right on the deck and brace the sides. As Don says all the weight is on the keel just brace the sides enough to stop it from falling over. The keel is 12 feet long where it's flat. Mine sticks about 7 feet out the back and about 7 feet out the front. I just welded a longer tung on my trailer. I have to do some more adjusting to make it perfect. But I got it home in one piece and it was cheap.I just measured the the boat and guessed. The supports in the bow are a little to wide. Just have to move them in a foot on each side. It was pretty easy to do once I figured out what to do.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Hi...re the never pull or launch with your truck...I do it all the time and do not have any problems...I have a loadmaster that was built for a 28te and was freaking out about if it would fit or not...it did. ( I bought the boat in Canada and the trailer off Craigslist in So. Cal...they met in Bellingham and fit pretty well)...the nice thing about this loadmaster is all but the rearmost bunks are fully adjustable. That said there are several trailer companies that can help you...and if you need a drawing of the 27fc hull there is one in the Docs section of this site. Before I found the pre-owned one I almost got Tuff Trailer ( http://tufftrailer.com ) to build one...they said they had done a few Albins and knew how to do it. Be sure to get one that you can either launch yourself or have it slung off the trailer. Keep in mind dry weight is about 7,500 lbs...add water, fuel, and "stuff" to get a weight you are comfortable with .... (BTW I tow with a Ford 6.0 diesel 4WD)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by seanneilson »

Many thanks to all of you that are chiming in. Our picture is starting to sharpen up a bit. Loadmaster looks like the best option based on replies. I just wish I could find something close to home here in Alaska. Thanks!
seanneilson
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by seanneilson »

coolchange wrote:...and if you need a drawing of the 27fc hull there is one in the Docs section of this site.

Very helpful--thanks! I'm having trouble locating the "docs section". Can you tell me how to find those?
thanks,
sean
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

bottom of the forum...Documents Library (you need to be a supporting member to get to them)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi
I took the dimensions and did the drawing let me know if you can't get it and I'll send direct
I have photo of trailer mad from it too.
Warren
84 AC
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Melinda lee

Post by Melinda lee »

I purchased a loadmaster trailer this fall for my A27. I towed the boat from Maryland to southwest Florida with my Toyota Tundra. No problems. Each Loadmaster trailer is custom built for your boat. Loadmaster already had the patterns from a previous build. The boat fit on the trailer with no adjustments. The only is drawback it cost $8,000.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”