• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

ZF V-drive oil hose

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

ZF V-drive oil hose

Post by dkircher »

Hi all,

I am struggling with replacement of an oil hose on my transmission with a trolling valve. The OEM hose was leaking, so I had a new one fabricated, which ruptured. A check with our local ZF expert revealed that the hose was not OEM from ZF and was installed by Albin on our 1998
28TE with a Cummins 330 hp.

He said the oil pressure is 335-345 psi.

I have had two other hoses fabricated. One is significantly above the pressure range. Neither has been installed. The photo shows the fittings that need to be connected. One is on the upper right hand side, the other on the lower left.

My question is, has anyone dealt with the issue? And how was it resolved? As always, thanks in advance for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: ZF V-drive oil hose

Post by RobS »

I'm not following you....What do you mean by "issue"? What is it you are trying to resolve?.....correct hose rating? installation access? proper fittings? etc..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

To me those look like standard hydraulic fittings.
You can buy fittings and standard length hoses from McMaster Carr online or have them made at a hose shop.
Some Napa stores make hoses.
There is no magic here hydraulic hoses are common and they will handle more pressure than you need.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

Thanks guys for your replies. To be more clear, the issue is that I had a new hose fabricated by a reputable shop and it ruptured spraying oil all over the bilge. So, this makes me somewhat paranoid about repeating that process.

If, in your experience, the rupture likely was the result of a flaw in the fabrication or hose, then I'll try again. Note that these two fittings are very close to each other requiring a slight "s" bend to connect them. None of the other (longer) hoses have been a problem. I replaced all of them. They were fabricated by the same shop.

Regards,
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Get standard hydraulic hose that is rated for at least 1000 psi.

Look here at McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#hydraulic-fluid-hose/=10ohj2x

Find the size you need. You'll have it next day.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Hard to judge the alignment of the fittings but if it's an issue consider a loop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

It's possible the shop grabbed the wrong hose for this application. Take it back, explain what happened and let them check on which hose to use and make it right. If what they select for this application is different than what you're own research suggests, then I would look elsewhere for this particular hose.

ZF folks are really good and they're easy to work with. Can you get the hose with the proper fittings from them?

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”