• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Epoxy over Polyester and vice versa

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Epoxy over Polyester and vice versa

Post by rnummi »

What's the scoop on pouring poly over epoxy and vice versa? Any info would be appreciated. Assumption would be the base coat of either/or had fully cured.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Epoxy over Polyester and vice versa

Post by Pitou »

Rule of thumb is: epoxy over polyester, but not polyester over epoxy.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Ahh, but what happens when you pour poly over epoxy? It just doesn't adhere or is there a more sinister reaction (like when you add nitro and glycerin)
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

It won't blow up. It will adhere at least in my experience. I've done it a few times in non critical areas.
I would prefer to do as already stated, apply epoxy over polyester.
But "pouring"? You don't "pour", you apply.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Poly over Epoxy will not bond or if for some reason it does it will be temporary and fail. Like Jay says, if you use Poly over Epoxy don't "apply" it in any critical areas.

Because of cost savings, Poly is what most builders use. Once you start using Epoxy you need to remember where you use it.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Pitou wrote: Poly is what most builders use. Once you start using Epoxy you need to remember where you use it.
That is why my choice for repairs will be polyester resin with only a very few exceptions. Also for those areas where it can apply, bondo is compatible with polyester resin and can be used for small imperfections and to hold panels in place (because it cures quickly) so you can fiberglass over them or tab them in.
And for the same reason, it is preferable to paint over epoxy, rather than gelcoat.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

so in my case, the fact that the sides of the pilothouse are essentially solid cured epoxy should not impact a polyester resin pour across the front (essentially) two solid vertical side surfaces of epoxy meeting the solid polyester vertical of the front. It will save a ton of $ (even using raka). I'm estimating 3 gallons of resin to fill the front.

What I end up with is a solid pilothouse that will never "delaminate" or rot ever again. I'm not particularly worried about non-adherence of the two as the gap (if any) will allow moisture drainage if that ever happens.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

If you are using resin as "paint" it likely won't adhere well in the long run in my experience. That sounds like a poor attempt at a repair to me.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I'm not using it as paint. I'm filling a six inch void (that was rotted away) on front base of pilot house. Core is non existent so was going to do a 2-3 inch base of epoxy then fill remainder w poly.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Without any material such as mat or cloth? Just resin?
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Decided to go w straight epoxy.....dollar for dollar I'm slowly building a Hinckley (w resale value of a 77 Chevy Vega)...
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

rnummi wrote:.....dollar for dollar I'm slowly building a Hinckley (w resale value of a 77 Chevy Vega)...
I own one of those!! . . . . with about 5 gallons of epoxy on it too!

IMO, epoxy is the only resin to use when repairing fiberglass boats - It bonds to old polyester lay-ups much better than a coat of new poly does. When a polyester boat bottom develops a cars of the blisters (seawater penetrating the gel coat interacts with the chemicals in the polyester and forms a 'pus' which delaminates the lay-up) the only 'cure' is to grind out all of the cancer and replace it with layers of glass and epoxy. To prevent the 'pox' from happening in the first place, there are several epoxy based products which you paint over the gel coat to seal it - Interlux 2000 is the most popular one. My boat has 4 coats of 2000 over the repaired hull. Boats built completely from epoxy seldom develop the pox because epoxy is much more waterproof than poly

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Don I was just going to ask that question about barrier coating and what everyone thought. My hull is perfect on the outside right now. Very little build up someone must of scrapped it. I will probably get it in the water then do it some other year. I have enough projects. But want to hear your opinion and others
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

If your hull is perfect and has never had a blister problem, you're probably not going to develop one anytime soon. My hull had no signs of a blister problem either when I bought it, but when I took it down to bare gel coat I could see that it had indeed suffered from the pox at some time in the past and someone had done an excellent job of properly repairing it. Knowing that the problem is worst in warm waters and not wanting to have it return, I opted for the Interlux 2000 treatment prior to doing the bottom job - I had already sanded it bare, so it was the prefect time to do it

When you do the bottom paint on top of the epoxy, 2 quarts will roll on a light coat of contrasting color bottom paint (red if you're going with blue bottom paint) and that way you can tell when your bottom paint is about worn away - Your hull will start to change color. We got 2 heavy coats applied using 6 quarts of Micron CSC

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Sprig1 wrote:I was just going to ask that question about barrier coating and what everyone thought. My hull is perfect on the outside right now. Very little build up someone must of scrapped it. I will probably get it in the water then do it some other year. I have enough projects. But want to hear your opinion and others
I also had taken on the Interprotect barrier coat project with my 28. I'm grateful that it has already been done on my 31. If you're taking her down to the gel coat, why not, but it sure is a big roll up your sleeves project! Here is a link from beginning to end:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3987
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”