• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Starting a Lehman after 6 years of sitting

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Starting a Lehman after 6 years of sitting

Post by rnummi »

Any advice from the diesel experts out there? I.E. Step One: Drain tank of 6 year old diesel (which probably has creature from Black Lagoon living amongst Florida algae)... Step 2: pull off hose "xyz" and feed into engine... Etc.

My father in law was a 20 year certified small diesel mechanic in the Air Force, unfortunately he passed a couple of years ago. Could really use some practical advice from anyone who has started one of these up after a 6 year hiatus. I don't want to break it, I just bought it!

Thanks in advance...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

Re: Starting a Lehman after 6 years of sitting

Post by Steam Flyer »

"Just sitting" doesn't really do an engine any harm; however sitting with salty wet air inside it will kill it beyond dead.

The first step will be to check all the ancillary gear. Belts, hoses, mounts, impellors, etc etc. At a minimum I would take off the heat exchanger heads to inspect and clean; triple-check all hoses and hose clamps, ditto wiring connections... oh and the batteries too. Make sure the stop solenoid works.

If any hoses look suspiciously soft or crackled, replace them. No point in starting the engine only to have it blow off a coolant hose and melt down.

Unless it's been sitting in an open bucket, there is probably nothing wrong with 6 year old diesel fuel (might as well toss out this heretical truth). It needs be properly filtered but diesel is not very volatile and the only chemical change is precipitating out asphalt... which you can prevent by giving it just a tiny amount of circulation, but never mind that now. Change the fuel filter and have the correct spare filter on hand... I'd recommend having at least 5 actually. Make sure the water is drained out of the bottom of the tank & filter bowl, of course. My Lehman had an external fuel pump with a hand lever to prime the engine; whatever yours has, use it to make sure the engine is getting good fuel.

Now for the engine itself. Change the oil. Change the transmission fluid. My Lehman did not have an air filter, some do; if yours does then change that too. Change the coolant... in Florida I would use distilled water with very little antifreeze, but go by your own taste. Double check the levels in oil sump, tranny, and coolant, then pour a little fresh oil into the top cap just before you start it... for pre-lube. It looks like you would have access to jack the shaft over by hand, try that to make sure it's rotating freely.

Now hit the 'start' button and listen!

- Doug
'Sugar Magnolia' Albin 31TE
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I would change the oil after running a few minutes. Install a temporary pre filter as you will get stuff from the tank that will plug the injectors. Carry several filters and hopefully it is a racor replaceable type so you can inspect for contaminants.. Change all the fluids after running for a bit to protect your investment. Pretty hearty engine needs clean fuel and good cooling.

Good luck!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Why not setup an oil change pump and filter and pump oil through the main galley while barring it over.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I would bother with draining the tank until I was sure the engine was running. Fuel in the tank could be perfectly fine I've known diesel fuel to sit much longer than that. Just provide an alternate supply of diesel from a container to get it running. Make sure you can turn it over by hand before using the starter. Pull the glow plugs so there is no compression and put a socket and breaker bar on the cranckshaft. If it turns over put the plugs back in, and give it a try. You could deny it fuel for a while and turn it over until the oil pressure builds if you want to get some lubrication to all the parts before running it. If it fires off Stop it and then change the oil. No point in doing a lot of maintenance on the engine until your sure it runs. After that I'd pump out some fuel from the tank into a glass bottle to see what it looks like before deciding to drain it.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would definitely bar it over a few revolutions before trying to start it. Then I would bleed out the fuel system. Make sure the battery is new. A diesel needs to spin over fast to start.
Changing oil, checking all the rubber parts, etc is great advice.
Then give it a shot. expect some roughness, a few strange noises, smells, etc before the cobwebs burn off. Let it idle for 30 seconds or so then let it run at 900 or 1000 rpm for several minutes watching the coolant temperature. Check for leaks and if everything looks ok let it run for 10 minutes, then change the oil and fuel filters and do another check for leaks, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks everyone.... Great advice. So my batteries sitting for the same amount of time. Toast?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

I would say so... Pull out service with a charge then load test. But more than likely toast. Sorry
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

I would recomend changing the oil prior to trying to start it. Depending on where you are you could have gotten alot of moisture in there from condensation. No need to circulate that!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

rnummi wrote:Thanks everyone.... Great advice. So my batteries sitting for the same amount of time. Toast?
I wouldn't bother even trying or testing them. Buy a new group 27 and be done.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Yeah, that was the general consensus. Think I'll wander down to Sams, Walmart and Costco and shop... No wait, why is the parking lot completely full.... Holy smokes it's last minute shoppers ruining my battery shopping experience. Clearly no one here is a new boat owner.

Merry Christmas All!

Thanks for your sage advice... It has truly saved my bacon.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

As an aside, is there a relatively cheap pump available to remove tyranny fluid and oil sump? I'm presuming you suction out both through filler tube?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Yes you do if you don't want a mess. I bought a West Marine system it works well.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Just my 2 cents (having worked in a large quarry repair garage for 5 years):
Clean oil is critical, so I'd do as those who recommend changing the oil FIRST..before starting. AND Fill that new oil filter with oil as you install it,
AND...most importantly..."Dead Crank" the engine until the oil pressure registers enough to shut off the alarm.
Now...Dead Crank for these old girls is done in brief cranks of 5 seconds or less, else you'll overheat the starter.
(I use a pull-tie to hold the stop-lever in the stop position so there's no fuel.) Crank 5, wait 3-4, crank 5, wait 3-4 until you get pressure. Then wait 5 minutes for the starter to cool some before you try again.
Oh...all this cranking will flood the wet muffler, so be sure the muffler drain is open. You can put the drain plug back in after you've got your oil pressure and are ready to actually start the engine.
Best wishes...these are very rugged engines.

One more thought...I don't care if you find an air-cleaner on the engine or not; PUT ONE ON. American Diesel sells the foam sleeve. Us it! Just cause it's a boat does not mean the engine does not benefit from an air cleaner!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”