• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Purchase Advice

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 Purchase Advice

Post by kerrye »

Originally they came with either a 2 cylinder Albin, a 2 cylinder Volvo or a 3 cylinder Volvo depending on the year. I think.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Albin 25 history, courtesy of Albineers of BC
Early 25s had a 20hp diesel built by Albin themselves (the company originally manufactured some of the smaller models in the Volvo range). This engine was a touch underpowered, giving a top speed of just over eight knots, so in 1971 the builders switched to the 36hp Volvo MD3B, which lifted the speed to around ten knots, depending on load. In 1975 the MD3B was replaced by the similarly rated MD17C, which became the standard engine for the rest of the boat's production life. The Albin 25 might not win any races, but she won't bankrupt the owner either: at nine knots, with an average load, she will use about 1/2 gph.
Mine cruises 6.5 kts at 2,350 RPM with a 24 HP Yanmar 3GM30F

http://www.albinbc.com/home/albin-25-history
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I've read that also but I've also seen an A25 with what was claimed to be an original Volvo MD2B engine.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

$10,000 sounds like way too much for a boat in that condition. I'd go for the $13,000 boat.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

I would argue hard on the price of the 13,000 dollar boat and walk from the 6000 boat. I got a running mostly water ready A25 fro 7k this summer (no trailer). There are deals out there, dont make an emotional purchase they made LOTS of A25's
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

There are deals out there, dont make an emotional purchase they made LOTS of A25's
Well maybe not quite "lots". Only about 2,000 units were built, and most of them are either in Europe or Canada, and they went out production in 1980. There may be a handful of "Bonum 25's" around here and there dating to the early-mid '80s. We saw one of those on a trailer in the San Juans and it was in tough shape inside and needed an engine (and was not for sale). Same hull but different topsides with larger pilot house windshield and side windows. They're worth pretty much whatever the market will bear. Albin 25's are an antique niche cult market boat. But if there's another 25 foot trailerable power cruiser out there with a simple single screw prop and rudder that gets 12 to 14 nautical miles per gallon diesel fuel economy for anything under $25K I'd like to hear about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”