• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

electric head

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

electric head

Post by kjg1951 »

I am considering installing an electric head in my 1983 36 ft Albin... I also want the ability to discharge overboard when out the 3 mile limit. Right now I have a hand pump head and goes directly into the holding tank. I also have a maserator which will empty the holding tank . I have a yvalue standing by to be installed . does anyone have a diagram of the plumbing to have it discharge overboard also ... and also the wiring diagram of the electric head. thank you
Kevin
New Bern NC
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: electric head

Post by Beta Don »

The Coast Guard is not especially fond of Y valves, so when I converted to an electric head I opted not to use one. My head is directly connected to the 20 gallon holding tank and then I have both a macerator and a pump out deck fitting connected to the tank so I can empty it either way quickly and easily. The macerator dumps to a below the waterline seacock which has a padlock on it on the closed position and the deck fitting is plumbed to the lowest port on the holding tank

Several advantages to doing it this way I think. One, if you're boarded and the USCG puts the dye pellet in your head, no question it's all going into the holding tank. Two, when you pump it overboard, the effluent has been mixing and degrading in the holding tank for several days so there's no danger of any floating solids showing up in your wake

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Re: electric head

Post by rcwhite »

Agree on the Y Valve before the tank. I removed ours when replacing the hoses last year.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”