• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Do you know an expert?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Maxsail
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Myers Florida

Do you know an expert?

Post by Maxsail »

(We are posting this inquiry both as a new topic and as an addition to "how to slide back the drive shaft" post)
Does anyone know of a mechanic, service facility or talented amateur that has had extensive experience working on the 27s and might be able to answer a couple of specialized questions
We have a 1986 with a Nissan 6 cyl LD28 engine which has us stymied on what we thought would be a rather straight forward job. Trying to remove the transmission from the rear of the engine we are trying to slide the drive shaft back a few inches for clearance. We have disconnected everything, loosened everything, persuaded everything and still cannot get it to budge.
It has been suggested that the set up on our boat is possibly a rare one in that there is a bearing thru which the shaft runs integral to a bulkhead about 2 feet forward of the aft cabin floor. There are 4 bolts that hold the bearing plate to that bulkhead which of course we can only see the rear side of. The front side, which is not visible to us seems to hold the attachment nuts for these bolts and is in the permanent fuel tank compartment and is inaccessible. All we can guess at this point is that something in this configuration may be stopping the shaft from moving.
We would really like to hear from or get a lead to, someone who has had direct experience with this particular bulkhead bearing and fitting arrangement. By process of elimination and observation when we try to persuade the shaft rearward, it seems to be the guilty party.
Thanks in advance.
Bill
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Do you know an expert?

Post by tego »

Bill, Any alignment bearing I've ever seen has a locking collar on it. The inner bearing race is locked to the shaft with an allen set screw. Obviously yours is on the other side of the bulkhead (of course!). Mine ('87) has a 1 1/2" shaft, so doesn't need the bearing apparently. The only solution I can see is to cut an access port in the cockpit sole or go in thru the aft cabin (a bear). When I was looking at 27's a couple of years ago, I saw another '86 with a 6" pie plate port in the sole and couldn't figure what the heck it was for, and the owner didn't know either. Mystery solved! Good luck, Ben
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had that same bearing arrangement on my ex boat, an old Mainship. Yes it is secured to the shaft via a set screw...or possibly 2 screw depending upon the size of the shaft/bearing.
The Mainships that had a 1 1/2 inch shaft, there were 3 set screws. The ones with the 1 3/8 shaft had one screw.
There is a (strong) possibility that even when you loosen the screws that the shaft will be difficult to move. My original was as the oem installer buggered up the shaft with the set screws.
The bearing type is an RCJC (bulkhead mounted, self aligning, locking collar) and would either be an RCJC 1 1/2 or an RCJC 1 3/8. You can get a bearing at any industrial supply house or bearing house. (it will be cheaper there than thru your marina and it will be the same bearing).
The bearing supply house may offer a substitute bearing if they can't get an RCJC type. Make sure it has a locking collar.
These bearings are greasable via a grease fitting, but it's possible the fitting is on the blind side.
I turned mine into an automatic greaser using a inexpensive spring loaded grease feeder from McMaster-Carr and a short length of hydraulic hose.
I hope this helps.
I attached a page that shows the bearing I described.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Bill
There may be a possible ' expert' at the old cos cob marina ,ct, where the boats were originally made.
I was looking at a '93 with the 180hp engine in..... Should have bought it despite the high cost.... But I was told by the broker that the marina manager or Forman had worked for the builder and had been maintaining this boat and I could talk to him about it if I wanted.
Sorry 5 years ago so don't remember broker name.
Marina still had Albin marine on the gate......
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Maxsail
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Fort Myers Florida

Post by Maxsail »

Thank you all fellows. We will investigate all the avenues you have mentioned. We are currently trying to wedge a small inspection camera thru the fuel tank inspection cap opening. to see if we can see the other side of the bearing.
Bill

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”