• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6lp fuel water separator leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

6lp fuel water separator leak

Post by socalmike »

The small nipple on the bottom of the fuel filter has a very slight drip of diesel. Anybody know of a fix. Thanks in advance. Mike
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: 6lp fuel water seperator leak

Post by catalina_mike »

That should be the drain if it is the Racor unit mine had. I replaced the entire assembly as mine was pretty bad looking!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

There is a rubber O ring that you can replace. Its either a bolt, or someone installed a small brass valve for draining the bowl which also has a bolt in the bottom to seal it.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

Mine is a plastic nipple on the bottom of the fuel filter on the motor. Looks like it has plastic wing nut. Looks like it meant to drain but no hose attached. L
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

If it is on the engine and its a Yanmar then that is where the factory "yanmar" water alarm switch goes. There should be two wires laying around...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

OK, that plastic wing nut is for draining the filter prior to removal. When you buy a new filter it comes with new O rings. It does have a small nipple to attach a hose to for draining. For filter removal, trace the wires to the plug/disconnect, and unplug it. Remove the filter with a filter wrench. Have a large zip lock baggie handy to place the dripping filter in. Once out of the boat, use a pair of channel locks to remove the plastic fitting from the bottom of the filter. Reinstall it back on the new filter with the new O ring, reinstall filter and reconnect wires.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

Good info. Thanks
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I dropped my "nipple", aka drain plug in the bilge on my Racor filter. I used my wet/dry vac to vacuum that puppy out, o good. I used the blower on the vac forward and aft, still could not find it. I had to buy the entire bowl assembly to get the plug. I think the plug is my keel. In the spring I will try to blow it out. Moral of the story, put something big under the fuel bowl when draining. There is an o-ring to improve the seal to the filter housing.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Albin Maintenance”